Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help deciding on amp for subs

I need help deciding on which amp to get. I am going to run Alpine TypeR subs.

The following 2 amps will drive 2 x Alpine SWR-1222D subs at 2 ohm load.

MTX XThunder X1000D

Alpine MRP-M1000

and the following will drive 2 x Alpine SWR-1242D subs at 1 ohm load.

MB Quart DSC 1000.1

I will be running 1/0 gauge wire for power supply and ground and 8 gauge wire for the sub hookup.

I know Alpine amps are of great quality and have heard that the other 2 are great as well. Anyone have any opinions on the other two to either guide me towards or away from them.

I am kind of on a price crunch since I will need to be upgrading my 105 amp alternator to a 225 - 250 amp. I like the price better on the MTX and even more so on the MB Quart. But not sure if the quality of the MB Quart is as good as the MTX or Alpine.

Also what main line fuse would you all recommend using? 125 Amp fuse for the MTX and Alpine and 150 for the MB Quart?

Similar Threads:

Master of My Domain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quart. Its underrated as well. I ran one for about a year. the fuse size would be determined by your wire.

Master of My Domain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Out of the 3 I would get the MB Quart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys.

So what you are saying about the main power fuse is that I would most likely run like a 250A fuse since it is 1/0 (0) gauge wire?

What about the sub speaker wire. Is 8ga ok go use? or should I use like 12ga or 10ga?

Also would upgrading my 105A alternator to a 225A - 250A be a good Idea? Since that amp pulls a lot of juice?

Pardon my questions. I'm fairly new at car audio wiring. I've never gone above 500 rms before so this 1000 rms is a new venture for me.

Master of My Domain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

If your only gonna run a discus 1000 your stock alt a small add on battery like the Kinetic 600 or 800 and the big three should be perfect for you. As far as sub wiring 8ga is major overkill 12ga would be fine. Remember that is a very short distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So just adding a 0ga wire from the positive terminal of stock battery to the positive terminal of a Kinetic 600/800 in the trunk. Then hooking up the ground of the Kinetic to the body is all I need to do for what I want? No upgraded alternator is needed?

Master of My Domain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Yup. If thats all your gonna run then that should be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet. You guys just saved me like $500.

Who is a reputable supplier of Kinetik Power Cells at a decent price?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know if you've made a decision on that amp yet but I'd def. either run with the Alpine or MB, the discus series is seriously underrated. Also, depending on how much of a price crunch you're on, the Crunch GPV 1000.1 is a great amp for the price. Also, I'd run with the Dual 4 ohm Type R's. And as for batteries, check out Shuriken's also.

Master of My Domain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmwilson View Post
    Don't know if you've made a decision on that amp yet but I'd def. either run with the Alpine or MB, the discus series is seriously underrated. Also, depending on how much of a price crunch you're on, the Crunch GPV 1000.1 is a great amp for the price. Also, I'd run with the Dual 4 ohm Type R's. And as for batteries, check out Shuriken's also.
    Shuriken is just a label slapped on another battery and sold as a metra product. much like everyone elses.

[Output: 98.48 Kb. compressed to 87.40 Kb. by saving 11.08 Kb. (11.25%)]