Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Single amp or multiple? Could use advice

Hello everyone. I am a new member to these forums and i look forward to becoming a part of the community here. First of all i want to apoligize if i posted this in the wrong section or not as i have a few different questions. I am currently in the process of gathering parts to upgrade my entire audio system in a 2002 Lexus IS. The problem i have been having is that i know very little about mobile audio. I currently have a Kenwood ddx372bt headunit in my vehiclw which was purchased a while ago. I have a set of 60 watt rms JBL gto638 6.5" speakers for the fronts and a set of 100 watt rms JBL gto938 6x9 speakers for the rears which i got a very good deal on. I also have a 10" Rockford Fosgate p3 subwoofer 2 ohms and a Kenwood x500-1 Mono amplifier that was given to me brand new from a family member. I am considering using this amplifier to power my subwoofer atleast as it appears to be perfect and saves me money however if necessary i am not opposed to spending more money to make sure this is done right. I am also debating adding a second 10" p3 subwoofer to my setup. So my question is this will the kenwood x500-1 amplifier be a good fit for this subwoofer? What is the best way to power my 4 speakers? Should i ditch the kenwood and get a 5 channel subwoofer? Or should am i better off using the mono kenwood amplifier and getting a 4 channel amplifier to power the 4 speakers? I am wondering how good the quality would be if i used my headunit to power the front speakers alone which is 50 watts rms x 4 for 60 watt speakers and that would allow me to use a 4 channel amplifier to power both the rears and a second subwoofer... any information and or advice is appreciated. Just trying to decide what my best route is.

Shitters full! Chris from Washington's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OzzModz Classifieds

Default Re: Single amp or multiple? Could use advice

Hi Welcome to the forum.

When it comes down to a 1 vs 2 amp. Me personally, I have always used a dedicated sub amp and then a separate amp for the other speakers.
    Just personal experience over the years, this has always worked better. Sub amps require a lot of power, get hot etc. Why add more stress to it by trying to make it run other speakers too.

but like I said, just a personal preference. I'm sure many do 5 channel setups and are just fine with it. I think it really depends on what you're hoping to get out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Chris, separate amp for the sub and for the other speakers..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok then thank you guys. I guess my last question would be with the front speakers having a 60 watt rms rating each and the rears being 100 watts rms whats my best bet for being able to give my rear speakers a little over 100 watts each without giving too much to the fronts? Or should i just use my deck to power the front speakers and use a 2 channel for the rears? Also i notice your from Washington also.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Trevor,

Please do not focus on the rear speakers, that is not the way to go.

If you are not to run 4 channel amp for the front and rear, then use a 2-channel amp for the front, the rears off the headunit and a separate amp for the subwoofer.

There is no need to foccus that much on the rated performance of either the amp or speakers.

Buy the best amps you can afford/want to spend on the project, they are sort of the key point for any future improvements.

Last edited by johnsahl; 11-02-16 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thank you. I came across a good deal on a 4 channel amp recently so now irs just a matter of getting the wiring kits and everything i need. well i could use some help figuring out what i need. I currently have a kenwood x500-1 mono amp hooking up with a 8 guage wiring kit and a 80amp fuse. I recently bought a hofonics zxr616.4 4 channel amplifier to run all of the speakers. As far as wire it looks like i am going to need 2 guage wire 159 amp fuse with distribution blocks? I have been researching like crazy lately but i would just like to know for sure before i spend money on all this stuff. Whats my best route? Should i just add a second 4 guage wiring kit instead?

Shitters full! Chris from Washington's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OzzModz Classifieds

So you'll have the 2 amps (1 sub amp, and 4 channel for everything else?)

I would go with the 2 gauge to the dist block.
    I didn't look at the specs of your amps, but a 150 amp fuse near the battery sounds right if you're using the 2 amps. That fuse is to protect the wire from shorts.

The from the dist block to the amps. Use the largest wire that your amps will accept.

that's about all there is too it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would just like to stress the importance of remembering the fuses for each amp as well.

1 fuse (150-200A) near the battery on the 2 gauge to the dist block, and place the dist block as close to the amps as possible, and a then the fuses before each amp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so i picked up a 0-1 guage to 4 guage dual amplifier wiring kit. It comes with a distribution block and a 200A fuse which i am hoping isnt too big but it was all i could find that was over 150 and i was told it is always better to overestimate than to underestimate. I did however notice that the kit didnt come with any fuses for the 4 guage wires however. Was i wrong for assuming that would be necessary as well? Feel like im getting different information everywhere as someone told me earlier today if the fuse is too much more it can cause an electrical fire lol my mono amp has a 60A built in fuse and my 4 channel has two 25A fuses built in. Thanks everybody. Im still trying to grasp this but hey gotta start somewhere or ill never learn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was also wondering if i should be worried about over powering my door speakers? The front door 6.5" JBLs hold a rating of 60 watts rms each while the rear 6x9s are 100 watts rms each. I was really just looking for something that could give the rear 6x9 speakers a little more juice but unfortunately for the front speakers its a lot more. I understand earlier somebody told me not to worry about this. The 4 channek amplifer is rated for 600 watts rms and is 150 x 4 @ 2 ohms