2-8 ohm amp

4x70w rms at 4 ohm
    4x 125w rms at 2 ohms
    2x 250w rms bridged at 4 ohms
    MAX OUTPUT
    4x140w at 4 ohms
    4x250w at 2 ohms
    2x 500w bridged at 4 ohms

Does anybody have experience with this specific amp ?
    Is it safe to run it at 2 ohms instead of 4 for long periods ? or is it better to stick with 4 ohm?
    What speakers are good for this kind of an amp ?

The setup im planning for my car is 4 speakers and 4 tweeters with crossover.
    also im interested in these speakers that run 30w rms and 300w max question is will thoes work safely with that amp (kenwood KFC-170p)
    another spekaer setup that im interested in are speakers that are 100w rms and 150w max (Ground zero iridium gzic x16 )

also should the amp be slightly more powerful or slightly less powerful then the speakers total Watts?

Any suggestions and help is welcome regarding the amp and speakers for it.

THANKS IN ADVANCE !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Amp and speakers questions.

Hope this helps but my recommendation would be to not run the 30w rms speakers with that amp cause chances are they will get blown. In general from my experience you want to run as close to the rated power handling of the speaker as possible and better to be a little under than a little over. As far as how long you can run it at 2Ohms if the amp is rated for it then it should be able to handle it but if you are running four speakers then you should be fine running four speakers at 4Ohms and stability shouldn't be a problem. One thing to watch for is once you start running the amp at lower resistances is to make sure you have plenty of air flow around the amp to keep it cool as the components tend to run hotter at lower resistance.

Hope this helps and if I am wrong on anything then hopefully a more experienced member can correct me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your reply

If i understood correctly i should look for speakers that have rms of 50-70? better to have the speaker rms a little lower ...right? and when i decide to run at 2 ohms the 100w rms speakers would be fine ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I generally stick to the rule of thumb that the rms power output of the amp should be slightly less than or equal to the rms power handling of the speaker

Master of My Domain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

There is nothing wrong with having more amp than the speakers require. Music is just a complex AC wave. So your peaks are minimal.

Just because your amp has more available output than your speakers are rated at does not always mean blown speakers. You just have to be smart in your setup and volume control.

I actually prefer a little headroom between my amps abilities, the volume I normally listen at, and the speakers rms rating.