User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Connecting tweeters to amp

So I have already connected 2 original and 2 new mid-range speakers in parallel and a subwoofer on a different channel to my amplifier. I want to connect two more tweeters to the same channels as the other speakers. As I calculated, if I connected the tweeters in parallel to the other speakers, the total impedance would be 1.6ohm. Would this damage my amplifier?

Setup info:
    2 mid-range speakers 40W RMS @ 4ohm
    2 original mid-range speakers (couldnt find any info on them, lets say they are the same as the ones above)
    2 8ohm tweeters (would use capacitors as a high-pass filter)

Amp info:

• 4 Ohm RMS Power 90W for 4 channels
    • 2 Ohm RMS Power 120W with 4 channels

Shitters full! Chris from Washington's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OzzModz Classifieds

Default Re: Connecting tweeters to amp

Quote Originally Posted by shiftazz View Post
    So I have already connected 2 original and 2 new mid-range speakers in parallel and a subwoofer on a different channel to my amplifier. I want to connect two more tweeters to the same channels as the other speakers. As I calculated, if I connected the tweeters in parallel to the other speakers, the total impedance would be 1.6ohm. Would this damage my amplifier?

Setup info:
    2 mid-range speakers 40W RMS @ 4ohm
    2 original mid-range speakers (couldnt find any info on them, lets say they are the same as the ones above)
    2 8ohm tweeters (would use capacitors as a high-pass filter)

Amp info:

• 4 Ohm RMS Power 90W for 4 channels
    • 2 Ohm RMS Power 120W with 4 channels
    Hi Welcome to the forum,
    Just to make sure I understand it, but you want to have all 3 in Parallel per channel?

so 2 4ohms and an 8ohm?
    Yes that will give you around 1.6 ohms.

It's below your amp recommended impedance, so technically it could damage it and void the warranty. Or it could be just fine, since it's fairly close.
    It's one of those things, where you have to decide if you want to take the chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Connecting tweeters to amp

Thanks a lot for the answer. For now I'll take the risk, the amp has many protections in it, so I hope it won't get damaged. Later on, I'm thinking on connecting the mid-speakers in series and then adding the tweeters in parallel. Although that'll be a pain in the ass, with all the wiring hidden in the car.