User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Best Amplifier for Cerwin Vega components

    So I've searched everywhere and can't, for the life of me, find out which amp would be perfect for my Cerwin Vega xed components. Can you guys help me out? The specs are:

    Model: Cerwin Vega xed65C MKII
    75W RMS
    420W Peak Power
    Impedance: 4 ohm
    Sensitivity: 88 dbwm


    Can someone please tell and explain what spec amp should I get to get the maximum performance out of these speakers? I'm preferably looking for an economical but good performing amplifier.

    Thanks!


  2. #2
    Shitters full! Chris from Washington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,818
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default Re: Best Amplifier for Cerwin Vega components

    Quote Originally Posted by stardamore View Post
    So I've searched everywhere and can't, for the life of me, find out which amp would be perfect for my Cerwin Vega xed components. Can you guys help me out? The specs are:

    Model: Cerwin Vega xed65C MKII
    75W RMS
    420W Peak Power
    Impedance: 4 ohm
    Sensitivity: 88 dbwm


    Can someone please tell and explain what spec amp should I get to get the maximum performance out of these speakers? I'm preferably looking for an economical but good performing amplifier.

    Thanks!
    welcome to the forum
    Just going by the specs you listed.

    Ignore the peak power, so you'll want an amp around 75-100watts per channel.
    Do these speakers come with a crossover? If not, you can get an amp that has an adjustable one built in.

    That's really about it, just stick with known brands and you'll be fine.


  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Best Amplifier for Cerwin Vega components

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris from Washington View Post
    welcome to the forum
    Just going by the specs you listed.

    Ignore the peak power, so you'll want an amp around 75-100watts per channel.
    Do these speakers come with a crossover? If not, you can get an amp that has an adjustable one built in.

    That's really about it, just stick with known brands and you'll be fine.
    Yep, they have a built in crossover. The thing I have a hard time understanding is what should be the impedance of the amp, what's bridged or unbridged? Can you point me to any specific amplifier which would go well with these components and is known to be good quality?


  4. #4
    Shitters full! Chris from Washington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,818
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default Re: Best Amplifier for Cerwin Vega components

    Quote Originally Posted by stardamore View Post
    Yep, they have a built in crossover. The thing I have a hard time understanding is what should be the impedance of the amp, what's bridged or unbridged? Can you point me to any specific amplifier which would go well with these components and is known to be good quality?
    Sure,
    Bridging is when you take 2 channels and basically merge them together, this is usually done with subwoofers. So since these are components you don't have to worry about bridging.

    You'll want an amp that can go down to at least 4ohm stereo. Which I would assume any amp on the market can do. Most can go down to 2ohms stereo.
    Are you just running 1 set of these? If you're running more than one set, and only going to have one amp. You'll want an amp that can go down to 2 ohm stereo. Since you'll be running 2 sets per channel. which would give you a 2ohm load.

    Do you have any amps in mind? I could look to see if something like that would work.


  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Best Amplifier for Cerwin Vega components

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris from Washington View Post
    Sure,
    Bridging is when you take 2 channels and basically merge them together, this is usually done with subwoofers. So since these are components you don't have to worry about bridging.

    You'll want an amp that can go down to at least 4ohm stereo. Which I would assume any amp on the market can do. Most can go down to 2ohms stereo.
    Are you just running 1 set of these? If you're running more than one set, and only going to have one amp. You'll want an amp that can go down to 2 ohm stereo. Since you'll be running 2 sets per channel. which would give you a 2ohm load.

    Do you have any amps in mind? I could look to see if something like that would work.
    So I'm running one set of these and coaxials in the back doors as well. Don't know the exact specifications but they're cadence coaxials. Allow me to provide some background. I started off with a cheap Chinese amplifier, my main goal was to listen to high SPL. The components and coaxials ran pretty well with crisp and loud sound on the chinese amp. But after a month, the right tweeter blew. I changed the whole component set again, then after a month the left tweeter and components blew. So I bought the whole set again a third time but this time, the guy I bought it from offered me a good quality amp as well. The thing is is that amp literally has no specifications on it. And ever since I've put it in, the sound of the whole system sounds extremely muffled, If I crank the volume up to 100% the sound is still muffled and the components start crackling. My guess is is this amp is rated at very low power, which is why the sound is so crap. On a sidenote, I have another amp as well which powers 2 Pioneer D4 subwoofers. It's a chinese amp as well, the company is Rock Mars.


  6. #6
    Shitters full! Chris from Washington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,818
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default Re: Best Amplifier for Cerwin Vega components

    Here is what I would do.

    Since you're running rear speakers too, find yourself a 4 channel amp.
    Then you can run your front/rear and maintain fading control from the deck.

    I would avoid all those Chinese knockoff amps, you'll just keep having trouble and end up spending more money on replacing or troubleshooting them.


  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Best Amplifier for Cerwin Vega components

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris from Washington View Post
    Here is what I would do.

    Since you're running rear speakers too, find yourself a 4 channel amp.
    Then you can run your front/rear and maintain fading control from the deck.

    I would avoid all those Chinese knockoff amps, you'll just keep having trouble and end up spending more money on replacing or troubleshooting them.
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. What amp would you recommend for this setup in the range of $100-$200?


  8. #8
    Shitters full! Chris from Washington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,818
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default Re: Best Amplifier for Cerwin Vega components

    For a daily driver setup, something that is not meant to be a high SQ type of install.
    Anything from the major companies will work, and also consider used. I've purchased used amps and never had an issue.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockford-Fo...~cie:rk:3:pf:0

    If you wanted to go with an old school amp
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-SCHOOL-...NmR:rk:82:pf:0

    Basically just stick with known brands
    Pioneer
    Fosgate
    MMATS

    etc.

    Report back with what you decided to go with


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
[Output: 82.08 Kb. compressed to 72.73 Kb. by saving 9.34 Kb. (11.39%)]