Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New Problem!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default New Problem!

Ok so my brother just got a new head unit for his 92' mercury sable, it's his first car. Anyways he asked me to do all the wiring and hook up the dash kit and etc. So i take out the old head unit, start wiring up the new head unit, put the harnesses in place and finish everything and.... no sound? I spent like an hour wiring and re-wiring the wires and messing with the head unit itself, it's all right so wtf? So my brother went back to best buy and asked them what the deal was, initially I thought there's something wrong with the head unit, however, this guy at best buy says that the sable has its' own amplifier and we need to bypass the cars stock amp with the new head unit amp. Sounds simple enough and the dude offers to do it, then says it's gonna run my brother 70 bucks. Now I'm not familiar with bypassing at all, but I can't imagine 70$ being a reasonable price for the work. So that's where you guys come in. . . All I need to do is find the Mercury amplifier, basically remove it and splice the speaker wires from the stock amp to the head unit (Heck I don't even need to remove the stock amp, just splice the wires). That's basically what I figured bypassing would be, anyways any advice would be greatly appreciated since I don't really know what I'm doing. Thanks in advance to serious posts.

Similar Threads:

Master of My Domain
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Do a search on Google first. May save you time.
    Sometimes, the amplifier is actually hooked onto the speaker it's powering, so open up the door panel and check that first.
    Other than that, you'll have to wait for a member who is actually knowledgeable, unlike myself

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm gonna do some research about Mercury stock amplifiers, thanks for the input and I too have no idea about this type of work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

did you connect the blue amp turn on wire coming from the factory harness? you should just be able to turn it on.
    if not, they make a harness to by-pass the amp, so you dont have to cut the wires and what not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Actually that was the only wire that I wasn't sure of, but I connected it to the remote wire... the other blue and white striped wire. Anyways the guys at Best Buy said the wiring was correct. And bestBuy must not of carried the harness that allows for amp bypassing, is it really that much work to bypass a stock amp?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

well... if its the one i think it is, not really...
    but in some cars, you have to run the speaker outputs from the source unit to the speaker outputs coming from the factory amp. like an eclipse, the factory amp is under the passenger seat. so you have to take the seat out and run 4 sets of speaker wire to it. not a walk in the park.
    call around to a few local car audio shops, they should be able to help you out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

im gonna check one of the speakers... hoping the amp is right there, also i might just look into a bypass wiring harness for the 92 sable, thanks again for the help

Master of My Domain
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

In any case, you can at least wire straight from the HU to the speaker and you'll know that the amp is bypassed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just deal with the same crap, but in a 93 maxima with the bose b.s. It's so much easier to just run new wires from the deck to each speaker than try to screw around with the factory amp. Also not sure but I replaced all the speakers in the bose sytem also, some type of factory bi-amped deal. Anyway. its easier to just do your own wiring direct than mess with it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Problem!

Quote Originally Posted by solacedagony View Post
    Do a search on Google first. May save you time.
    Sometimes, the amplifier is actually hooked onto the speaker it's powering, so open up the door panel and check that first.
    Other than that, you'll have to wait for a member who is actually knowledgeable, unlike myself
    It is possible to activate the sound through AUX in such cases as I understand you DONT have Aux, it is necessary to clarify this point with those who sell the head units, they know the driver. The second moment the sound can be activated through a special adapter, but its cost is more than $ 80.