Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Time delays (math nuts needed)

Post all your general car audio questions here.
JeremyC
Master of My Domain

Time delays (math nuts needed)

Post by JeremyC »

Ok guys, here is one for you. I was playing with my head units time delays the other day, and decided it was time to figure out the mathematical way of setting the time delays instead of doing it by ear. So this is what I came up with. Feel free to look it over and point out anything that I may have missed, or miscalculated.

Sound waves travel at 1130 ft per second at sea level with a temperature of 70 degrees. (13.5 inches a microsecond)

If the temperature was to raised from 70 deg to 90 deg the speed would increase by 5%

So if your living somewhere with an 80 deg average
1130 X .025 = 28.25 28.25 + 1130 = 1158.25 ft per second or 13.84 inches a microsecond.

Lets say there is a 2 ft difference in distance from your driver side / passenger side mid range speakers and your ear.
24 / 13.84 = 1.73 microsecond

So you would set your driver side mid with a 1.73 microsecond delay.
Jonathan
Master of My Domain

Post by Jonathan »

You've got the math, but really it's better to set by ear. Regardless of the math of it, a car still introduces reflections that can interfere with the final result.
JeremyC
Master of My Domain

Post by JeremyC »

Yep I agree, I just wanted something for newbies to use as a starting point. Plus it gave me something to waste some time on tonight, instaed of going out and spending money.