Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

rage gold vs. bondo.

Post all your general car audio questions here.
subster87

rage gold vs. bondo.

Post by subster87 »

Ok as fair as fiberglassing which one works the best. I read everyone using rage gold. Ive tried bondo and it literally took me a week of sanding to get a shape out of it. Is rage gold more manipulatable.
sinister audio
Master of My Domain

Post by sinister audio »

for heavy filling use a fiberglass bondo (evercoat brand) and for medium to light fill use rage. a cheese grader works great for shaping. you can usually get them at any auto body store.
subster87

Post by subster87 »

i tried a metal grinder for shaping with a wire brush on it. works well but not smooth, so is rage gold easier to sand then a bondo? just wondering if i went about it wrong. The box worked out, but not smooth enough to paint had to end up carpeting it, looks awesome very strong but not exactly what i was going for.
swimmerdude
Master of My Domain

Post by swimmerdude »

I have never used rage gold... all i have used is duraglass(fiberglass bondo) and the Evercoat bondo. They are more of the better for your money stuff. To shape things, when it starts to harden, you NEED to take a cheese grater to it so you dont have much sanding to do. Then start with around 40grit until you get the general shape. Then move up to 80-100 grit to get most of the shapping. Then work your way into 200-400 to make it really smooth. I dont know why you have a hard time sanding it, I use it all the time and no complaints. Maybe you are laying a lot more than needed on there. But sanding is somehting that is very important to shaping things and sometimes take a little bit of work.

And when you used the grinder, you could of put a skim coat of bondo on there and used 100-200 grit on it to make it smooth.
justaghost

Post by justaghost »

i hear rage gold is the shiznit. less pinholes than bondo. Ive never used it before though. I have too much bondo laying around that I should never have to buy rage.

as far as shaping... I use a 26 grit sanding wheel attachment on my drill. works great for quickly chopping down high spots on both body filler and FG.
swimmerdude
Master of My Domain

Post by swimmerdude »

justaghost wrote:i hear rage gold is the shiznit. less pinholes than bondo. Ive never used it before though.

I would have to say that pinholes are user error there.... they can be avoided easily by the way that you mix the bondo.
justaghost

Post by justaghost »

oh really? how do you do that then? Ive never heard of that before. Any tips for me?
swimmerdude
Master of My Domain

Post by swimmerdude »

Pinholes are probably being caused by air bubbles. Air Bubbles get traped in the bondo if you just stir it then slap it on. The proper way of mixing bondo is folding it. I usually stir it a little bit, then do a lot of "folding". I'm not too good at explaining, so bare with me.....

First, move the bondo onto your spreader or into a little pile. Then you will flatten out the bondo onto your mixing board. Make sure you flatten it all onto the board. Do this many many times with the bondo. Hopefully you can understand that, but it is the proper way of mixing bondo to avoid air bubbles.
justaghost

Post by justaghost »

ive tried the folding method too. still got pinholes. I dont normally paint my projects so it really isnt a big deal for me. I like vinyl a lot more.
subster87

Post by subster87 »

cheese grater, ok got that noted for next go around, as far as types of fiberlass go, the mat stuff im comming up short on exact names the fiber woven cloth stuff. or just fiber mat?