User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fourth Gen Camaro enclosure questions....

I'm looking for some advice from anyone that may have experience designing a sub enclosure to fit in the rear well of a 93-02 Camaro coupe. I currently have a sealed well box that is 2.6 cubes with some additional room on each side, holding 2 Kicker CVR 12's. I'm looking to increase output and keep it low, while maintaining reasonable sound quality. I plan on putting a pair of Sundown SA-12's or Fi Alpha 12's in a ported 3.5-4 cube box, tuned to 32hz and firing both subs and port up. I'll be running 2kw to 2.5kw. I have a few things to consider:

1)This will be a daily musical build.
    2) I listen to Rap/Blues/Rock
    3) I'm aiming for 60% SQ 40% SPL
    4) I have limited experience building ported enclosures, but I have built quite a few sealed boxes with good results.

I believe that I will most likely need to extend the box onto the rear deck to get the airspace needed.

I'm hoping some box builders can give me some pointers on how to achieve the best possible results.

What is the best port design/style to use for this application?

Will I achieve anything by angling the port and/or the subs toward the rear glass, straight up, or toward the front of the car?

I'm considering using fiberglass and MDF to form fit the box to the well, but I am open to suggestions from those more experienced. Thank you in advance for sharing your opinions.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fourth Gen Camaro enclosure questions....

Quote Originally Posted by cian300 View Post
    I'm looking for some advice from anyone that may have experience designing a sub enclosure to fit in the rear well of a 93-02 Camaro coupe. I currently have a sealed well box that is 2.6 cubes with some additional room on each side, holding 2 Kicker CVR 12's. I'm looking to increase output and keep it low, while maintaining reasonable sound quality. I plan on putting a pair of Sundown SA-12's or Fi Alpha 12's in a ported 3.5-4 cube box, tuned to 32hz and firing both subs and port up. I'll be running 2kw to 2.5kw. I have a few things to consider:

1)This will be a daily musical build.
    2) I listen to Rap/Blues/Rock
    3) I'm aiming for 60% SQ 40% SPL
    4) I have limited experience building ported enclosures, but I have built quite a few sealed boxes with good results.

I believe that I will most likely need to extend the box onto the rear deck to get the airspace needed.

I'm hoping some box builders can give me some pointers on how to achieve the best possible results.

What is the best port design/style to use for this application?

Will I achieve anything by angling the port and/or the subs toward the rear glass, straight up, or toward the front of the car?

I'm considering using fiberglass and MDF to form fit the box to the well, but I am open to suggestions from those more experienced. Thank you in advance for sharing your opinions.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
    I can't help with the box building, but I do have an 88 IROC with a 4 cubic foot ported box in the hatch with 1 15" RE Audio HC-15 (circa 2001-2002) powered by a Memphis Audio PRX-1500.1. It's stupid loud and pretty clean.
    As I understand it, the hatches are very close in size and shape. I hate my GIGANTIC box. I will soon be removing it to install a box similar in size to the one you have with 2 CSS Audio SDX-12's (https://www.css-audio.com/sdx12). I highly recommend that you don't go the huge box route. If those CVR-12's your using still have 11.5 mm xmax, you would get a significant increase in spl (while retaining sq) from a more modern high-xmax design that would work in your current box. I also believe your hatch will thank you!
    If you do go with a ported box you really won't be able to use large long ports because of the shape of the box. My sub is mounted far right rear (even with the edges of the box) with the ports on the left. 3 4"x4"x12" ports with a movable plate that will cover 1 or 2 ports. Tuned to 26.5hz with 1 port, 37.5hz with 2 ports, 46hz with 3 ports.
    The huge box severely limits amplifier mounting and I think the closeness of the upward firing sub and ports to the hatch adds additional flexing that just can't be stopped.
    In a few weeks I will be able to make measurements of my box if you would like them, but I really recommend you stick with your current box and shop carefully for subs.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk