How to Fiberglass like a Pro

FAQ's written to help guide you in Fabrication and custom installations
Ryan from Ohio

How to Fiberglass like a Pro

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

The first thing I can tell you about fiberglass is it's messy. The next thing I can tell you is keep ACETONE on hand whenever working with it. This will clean your tools and most importantly your hands! :lol

This is a big topic so here are the generals:

-Use the appropriate mat for your situation. Strand Mat for curved surfaces and regular Weave Mat for semi-straight surfaces. The Strand mat will conform to any shape within reason.

-Mix only enough resin and hardner you can use in 5 minutes.

-Apply Resin from the middle of your work are and work it outwards. DO NOT use excess Resin. Use just enough to wet the mat fully! After you use the resin that was mixed work all air bubbles out.

-Go back through these steps untill your first layer is on. Let dry 1/2-1 hour before adding another layer.

-After final layer add a smooth coat of resin. Also reffered to as Gel Coat. Note that the colored Gel COat is a color Additive to the Resin.

Fiberglass Box Panels

Usually you have 5 panels made out of a structured material such as MDF. The 6th one is the fiberglass. You must devise a plan to do this. A few ways are to make a Mold with Plaster, Aluminum Covered Styrofoam or a stretched fabric form.

The Stretched Fabric form is most prevelant. This is where you use some small pieces of wood to make a pattern. When the fabrinc is stretched over it the desired shape appears. Complex Radius's can be formed easily with this method. The cloth most used is simple speaker grill cloth. Resin is applied to it and will harden. This cloth is used only to serve as a form. After it has dried Fiberglass mat is laid directly over top it and is glassed in place. When done the grill cloth and the wood pieces remain as part of the object, so plan accordingly.

Next is the Aluminum Covered Styrofoam. Why Aluminum covered you ask? Well thats easy! If it wasnt Aluminum covered the Resin would eat through it (heat and chemical reactions). With this method we usually use the blue or pink styrofoam found at home improvement stores. This stuff can be stacked and glued together. Then it can be cut to shape with sharp razors, hot wire systems or sand paper/snading devices. Then you simply cover it with Aluminum Foil with minimal creases. Cover the creation as supplied in the General Directions.

The last topic I want to touch off on is Spare Wheel Well Enclosure.

This has become a popular enclosure lately. The easiest way I can figure to do it is as follows:

-Line the wheel well with Strand Mat and glass in place. Usuing 1.5 Oz strand mat I would say 3-4 layers is plentiful.

-Make sure you glass 3-6 inches past the actual spare tire compartment.

-Cut a board to fit in the desired area. Use Resin to "glue" the board down.

-Mat over the board to the excess mat coming out of the well. This mat should sandwich the boar and make a solid enclosure. 2 Layers of mat doing this with a 5/8 MDF board should be plentiful.

If anyone has anything else let me know in the Forum Sugguestions forum.

Resources:
FiberGlast
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!