Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

It's time for motor upgrade

A Place to Discuss Modifications done to your cars.

Moderators: William from NOLA, GlassWolf

Robert Wollenberg

Post by Robert Wollenberg »

My ECM tuned was for 93 octane and guaranteed me 12 HP, 15 FP torque and 2 MPG. My shift points are hella better than what the factory had it at. Definitely drives better. With my CRABS intake and GT-R exhaust system, I'm guessing I'm around 285 HP and torque. The car was factory with 250 hp/tq. I can get 28 mpg on the highway and about 21 back and forth to work ... even driving like an asshole half the time.
Robert R. Wollenberg
Audio Alchemy, Owner
Phone: (325) 480-2790
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.audiochemy.com
www.abilenecaraudio.com
www.abilenecaralarms.com
FB: www.facebook.com/audio.alchemy
Purple RS

Post by Purple RS »

A little more work this weekend. This in preparation for T56 transmission in the near (or not so near) future. From a friend, I acquired a scatter-shield (bell housing) and T56 adapter plate to mount to the rear of the motor. Probably overkill for now, but it will make the six-speed swap so much easier when the time comes. The scatter-shield I can use right away, but the adapter plate will have to wait for the T56. The setup will allow me to use an LS1 T56 and still use my 3rd-gen clutch, pedals, and hydraulics, all I need is an extended pilot bushing (the adapter is 1/2" thick so effectively shortens the input shaft), a new transmission cross-member for the T56, and shorten the drive-line.

Of course the swap did not go as planned...
First, we found out that my builder drove the transmission alignment dowels too far into the block, so aligning the scatter-shield was a challenge. We did the best we could, but since my input shaft had a small amount of play, we went with what we had. Also, my friend didn't tell me that the stock trans-to-bell bolts wouldn't work for the scatter-shield, we spent nearly an hour looking through every bin in the shop for some bolts I could use until I replace them with some more correct graded bolts.

Here is where we were attempting to align the bell, a dial indicator will go on that shaft...

Finished and ready to install the transmission...

Just a few bolts to tighten...

Chris from Washington

Post by Chris from Washington »

Purple RS wrote:A little more work this weekend. This in preparation for T56 transmission in the near (or not so near) future. From a friend, I acquired a scatter-shield (bell housing) and T56 adapter plate to mount to the rear of the motor. Probably overkill for now, but it will make the six-speed swap so much easier when the time comes. The scatter-shield I can use right away, but the adapter plate will have to wait for the T56. The setup will allow me to use an LS1 T56 and still use my 3rd-gen clutch, pedals, and hydraulics, all I need is an extended pilot bushing (the adapter is 1/2" thick so effectively shortens the input shaft), a new transmission cross-member for the T56, and shorten the drive-line.

Of course the swap did not go as planned...
First, we found out that my builder drove the transmission alignment dowels too far into the block, so aligning the scatter-shield was a challenge. We did the best we could, but since my input shaft had a small amount of play, we went with what we had. Also, my friend didn't tell me that the stock trans-to-bell bolts wouldn't work for the scatter-shield, we spent nearly an hour looking through every bin in the shop for some bolts I could use until I replace them with some more correct graded bolts.

Here is where we were attempting to align the bell, a dial indicator will go on that shaft...

Finished and ready to install the transmission...

Just a few bolts to tighten...

This is all the stuff I know nothing about lol, but looks like you're making progress on it!!
Having a shop to work in sounds nice too!
Purple RS

Post by Purple RS »

Shop belongs to a friend :happy055: By the time we were finishing up, I was thinking I might be staying the night. We finished up about 10:30pm and I was home just after 11:30 - he's a good 60 miles away...

BTW, I'm still learning as I go too.
Purple RS

Post by Purple RS »

This weekend, I was able to dyno this motor. As far as I know, except for the crank, rods and pistons (which make it the 383 it is), all the internals of the motor are stock 350 parts. I need to do a bit more tuning, but I got some good power and torque to the rear wheels...

248 hp @ 4400 rpm
348 lb/ft @ 3200 rpm