Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

engine trouble

A Place to Discuss Modifications done to your cars.

Moderators: William from NOLA, GlassWolf

Ryan from Ohio

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

GM did an actual recall on them due to the Class Action law suits. If yours wasnt repaired they would do it for you. If yours has been repaired they would reimburse you.
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
Tim
Master of My Domain

Post by Tim »

MobileAudio219 wrote:3100 is a newer version of the 3.1, which is a 60 degree v6 from gm.

They're famous for blowing intake gaskets. They made an improved gasket and it's fairly cheap to replace yourself (around 100 bucks for the gaskets.) The job is fairly difficult to do. Book time pays around 6-7 hours, so except to pay $350+ in labor to have the job done for you.

The problem is, many people don't catch it in time. Most of the time they blow internally, which puts water in the oil. If they keep driving it, the water really starts taking it's toll (pits the bearings.) I know many people who have popped their intake gaskets, had the gaskets replaced, then within a few hundred miles their motor spun a few bearings because water already had done internal damage.

If you keep your fluids check and your eyes peeled on the gauges you shouldn't have any real problems. Those cars will last forever in the right hands, so don't let the above information scare you, it's just stuff to watch out for.

Here's a good 60 degree forum.

http://www.60degreev6.com/

The bad thing is the 00-04 (i think) 3800, are infamous for blowing the UIM gasket, when it blows the gasket not long after it warps the plenum and then all the described problems happen. I had to replace the gasket in my bonny, i think I caught it in time though. And Justin is right those motors will last FOR EVER, if they are taken care of. My car has 126,xxx on it and it still runs great.

Tim
"The opinions expressed in the preceding post are purely an opinion and not meant to be used as a reference. So if you screw something up because of something I said I will not and can not be held responsible". Thank you for understanding.
Tim Strong
http://upscaleaudiodesigns.webs.com/
Email: [email protected]
X-box Live Gamertag:quad drpr
loudwagon15s

Post by loudwagon15s »

humm, i found this, what do you guys think? http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/1229582363.html
Tim
Master of My Domain

Post by Tim »

Not a bad car. those cars last forever from what I hear. And the vtec is def. a +. I got a buddy at work and that is all he drives is hondas. and plus I think they are killer sexy.

if you got the cash id say go for it.

Tim
"The opinions expressed in the preceding post are purely an opinion and not meant to be used as a reference. So if you screw something up because of something I said I will not and can not be held responsible". Thank you for understanding.
Tim Strong
http://upscaleaudiodesigns.webs.com/
Email: [email protected]
X-box Live Gamertag:quad drpr
loudwagon15s

Post by loudwagon15s »

my buddy let me drive his manual s2000 with a vtech in it, and i think its the same engine, and that thing was quick, i really wanna get it, but i'd be draining my savings
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain

Post by NorthQuad »

I haven't been up close to many Honda cars, so I'm most likely wrong here but that front end looks like it may have suffered a booboo in the past. It just seems like the lines aren't spaced properly or something.
Ryan from Ohio

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

loudwagon15s wrote:my buddy let me drive his manual s2000 with a vtech in it, and i think its the same engine, and that thing was quick, i really wanna get it, but i'd be draining my savings
Well providing its in good shape, not a bad deal.

But they guy says its fast... Which leads me to think he beats on it.

Im a GM man, so I think that green grand prix was a good steal.
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
loudwagon15s

Post by loudwagon15s »

true, but i def want a manual for my next ride, and the vtech is a nice thing to have also :happy055: If i get a chance to go check it out, if its been beaten on too much, then i def wont buy it
loudwagon15s

Post by loudwagon15s »

well times are tough up here in michigan, and on my next student loan i have to make interest payments every month (a good thing i know, but its going to be tough coming up with enough money each month while in school) My neighbors relatives are selling a 93 grand am with a v6 with 170k for 500 bucks. Its not my first choice but its been garage kept and is in really great shape. I'm headed to school in fl today, my dad is gonna take a look at it once the seller buys their new car, and then ship it down to me on my uncle's semi (drives for reliable carriers). So, hopefully in less than a month i will have a car, with some tunes (ie 2500 rms on a Mr. Wolf 15" fsq :D )
MobileAudio219
Master of My Domain

Post by MobileAudio219 »

loudwagon15s wrote:well times are tough up here in michigan, and on my next student loan i have to make interest payments every month (a good thing i know, but its going to be tough coming up with enough money each month while in school) My neighbors relatives are selling a 93 grand am with a v6 with 170k for 500 bucks. Its not my first choice but its been garage kept and is in really great shape. I'm headed to school in fl today, my dad is gonna take a look at it once the seller buys their new car, and then ship it down to me on my uncle's semi (drives for reliable carriers). So, hopefully in less than a month i will have a car, with some tunes (ie 2500 rms on a Mr. Wolf 15" fsq :D )
I had a 93 grand am back when I was 17 or 18, it was a 2 door with a 3.3. It wasn't a bad car, picked it up from my cousin for $300. I sold it a few weeks later. :confused

I always recommend finding forums for whatever car you have, so heres a couple. Get some idea's!

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/

Haven't really checked them out, but probably something useful on them?