Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Page 2 of 3 123

11926 Views Results 11 to 20 of 21

1. Bwcad1

Master of My Domain
    08-27-09 #11

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
    Read the first review...

OK and? Also in to find out how the hell you got a 1000 dollar denon receive

Reviewed By: Burgermeister on 10/26/2008
    Rating + 4
    Tech Level Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 week to 1 month

Pros: I bought this for an HTPC build. I wanted something to store all my video, music and photos. This seemed like a great choice, and after using this for a while, I believe it was the right choice.

Video:
    1080P support for Blu Ray playback. No dropped frames or stuttering at all. I have been renting a lot of blu ray discs, and this has handled it all without a single problem.

Great I/O connections with HDMI, VGA and Component Video

128MB of onboard dedicated graphics memory.

Good expandability with 2 extra PCIe x1 and 1 PCIe x16.

Audio:
    Incredible sounding audio. I could not believe how good it sounds, rivals that of my Denon 2807 which cost me almost $1K almost 2 years ago.

Integrated Amp is a really nice feature. Allowed me to remove boxes from under the TV. Down to my Dish Network STB, HTPC and Wii under TV.

Did I mention the killer audio, it really is good.

Amp card is low profile, so this works in low profile chassis.
    Cons: 780 chipset is a great IGP chipset and it does OK for gaming. It does support DX10 gaming, but if you are a serious gamer, no IGP solution is good for that. This can do some decent mainstream gaming (RTSs work fine as do some older FPS like Medal of Honor), but if you plan on doing some high frame rate, first person shooters like Crysis, then you should probably add a discrete graphics card.

I also wish this had eSATA on it as well. That would be a nice touch.

Adding a discrete card limits you to a single slot wide GPU card because the amp card sits next to x16 PCIe slot.

While not an issue for me, there are no PCI slots. If you have an older card using PCI, can't use it on this board. Though I have found that most cards have a PCIe version now.
    Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a great board for HTPC. In fact, it is probably the best board I have seen for this space. Audio is amazing, Video is pretty dang good for an IGP chipset. Saves the cost of adding a discrete card. It can do most mainstream gaming fine, but for higher end stuff, add a GPU card.

I definitely give this one a Thumbs Up!!!
    [IMG]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/bwcad1/testsig2-1.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=56812] [IMG]http://www.termpro.com/dbdrag/memberalbum/56812a0.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Ryan from Ohio

Master of My Domain
    08-27-09 #12

I dont have a $1000 Denon receiver.

if I did I surely wouldnt unhook it to use what power comes from this mobo as the reviewer said he did...

Reviewed By: Burgermeister on 10/26/2008
    Rating + 4
    Tech Level Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 week to 1 month

Pros: I bought this for an HTPC build. I wanted something to store all my video, music and photos. This seemed like a great choice, and after using this for a while, I believe it was the right choice.

Video:
    1080P support for Blu Ray playback. No dropped frames or stuttering at all. I have been renting a lot of blu ray discs, and this has handled it all without a single problem.

Great I/O connections with HDMI, VGA and Component Video

128MB of onboard dedicated graphics memory.

Good expandability with 2 extra PCIe x1 and 1 PCIe x16.

Audio:
    Incredible sounding audio. I could not believe how good it sounds, rivals that of my Denon 2807 which cost me almost $1K almost 2 years ago.
    Integrated Amp is a really nice feature. Allowed me to remove boxes from under the TV. Down to my Dish Network STB, HTPC and Wii under TV.

Did I mention the killer audio, it really is good.

Amp card is low profile, so this works in low profile chassis.
    Cons: 780 chipset is a great IGP chipset and it does OK for gaming. It does support DX10 gaming, but if you are a serious gamer, no IGP solution is good for that. This can do some decent mainstream gaming (RTSs work fine as do some older FPS like Medal of Honor), but if you plan on doing some high frame rate, first person shooters like Crysis, then you should probably add a discrete graphics card.

I also wish this had eSATA on it as well. That would be a nice touch.

Adding a discrete card limits you to a single slot wide GPU card because the amp card sits next to x16 PCIe slot.

While not an issue for me, there are no PCI slots. If you have an older card using PCI, can't use it on this board. Though I have found that most cards have a PCIe version now.
    Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a great board for HTPC. In fact, it is probably the best board I have seen for this space. Audio is amazing, Video is pretty dang good for an IGP chipset. Saves the cost of adding a discrete card. It can do most mainstream gaming fine, but for higher end stuff, add a GPU card.

I definitely give this one a Thumbs Up!!!
    -Ryan
    [SIZE=3]www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net![/SIZE]

3. Bwcad1

Master of My Domain
    08-27-09 #13

Isnt there a rule about using big fonts?

and that does make some more sense. However you should probably clarify your first post as im sure no one else here understood what the **** you were talking about.
    [IMG]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/bwcad1/testsig2-1.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=56812] [IMG]http://www.termpro.com/dbdrag/memberalbum/56812a0.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. falkenbd

Master of My Domain
    08-27-09 #14

Quote Originally Posted by Bwcad1 View Post

and that does make some more sense. However you should probably clarify your first post as im sure no one else here understood what the **** you were talking about.
    Ya, it confused this shit outta me...

5. Jon

08-27-09 #15

MSI boards are very reliable. The company I used to work for sold literally hundreds of boards per week. We also sold many other brands, but in much smaller quantities. ASUS boards are well known for features, but many (including me) have had way too many issues with reliability. I guess that is what you get for cutting edge feature sets. Like Bill mentioned, Gigabyte makes some really nice boards too. My only issue with Gigabyte is their RMA dept can be real pricks. That is not something that the average guy will deal with though.

6. NorthQuad

Platinum Plus
    08-27-09 #16

So... Intel is the way to go?
    dave.

7. Ryan from Ohio

Master of My Domain
    08-27-09 #17

Quote Originally Posted by Bwcad1 View Post

Well yes and no. Just putting a post up in large fonts is retarded. Making something in a sea of words stand out...

And I edited my post with bold, italics and underline so its easier to see what I said.
    -Ryan
    [SIZE=3]www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net![/SIZE]

8. joeyc

Master of My Domain
    08-27-09 #18

Tomshardware.com used this board in a system recently and he was pleased with it. The reason i looked into it is that I just built a new computer for my brother that Is gonna double as an htpc. We are contemplating doing a dedicated htpc now though because of space limitations with moving his computer desk close to the plasma. I think your skepticism is justifyable Ryan, but most(if not all) of the cons in the reviews are pertaining to bullshite that really has no bearing on it being utilized as an htpc. Ie gaming. Of course there are several doa's, but I would expect that in a revision 1.0 miniatx board with that many features. I am sure a newer revision is now available, if not then there will be soon.
    As for the amp, from what little research I've done, I've seen reviewers say it is an extremely efficient class d amp(93% I think) that shown to be quite distortion free. Well low enough to not be a real issue anyways. It's rated at 100 watts peak, so were talking maybe 30-40 watts?
    I don't know about you guys, but I am very intrigued by this board. Sure it's not going to blow the clothes off of girls, but that's enough power to get loud with some nice satellite speakers.
    Morel Elate 3-ways ran by a Genesis Series III Dual-mono, Morel Ultimo ran by an Autotek mm3000.1, Alpine DVA-9861

JC's Customs
    For all your stereo wants.......

9. joeyc

Master of My Domain
    08-27-09 #19

I should restate that last bit. I think if I can match it with the right blend of high sensitivity and sq it would sound great. Just so long as you can get it loud enough However if your wanting "high-end" sq out of your theater setup, than this may not be the way to go. Did I mention how awesome bluray is? Lol
    Morel Elate 3-ways ran by a Genesis Series III Dual-mono, Morel Ultimo ran by an Autotek mm3000.1, Alpine DVA-9861

JC's Customs

10. joeyc

Master of My Domain
    08-30-09 #20

wow you guys don't have as much input as you used to, or maybe not interested?

JC's Customs

Page 2 of 3 123