User Tag List

Thank You Thank You:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Page 3 of 3 123

8000 Views Results 21 to 28 of 28

1. phthisis

09-24-06 #21

I just put an SE12 in my room for my HT. 3 cube box tuned to 25hz. But anyway, I am curious to the setup that you want to run.
    Do you plan on running them off of say a Stereo system with RCA output or a HT receiver with RCA or LFE output?
    If you really want to put subs in your room I would suggest going with a home amplifier instead of a car amplifier. Something like a plate amp so that you can hook it up to the stereo or HT receiver without needing the dc power supply and other stuff.

2. captaincheesey

09-24-06 #22

I guess I will go with a plate amp, but I am not looking for something with a massive amount of power, of course it won't take much to make the house shake so I want something weak. The JLs seem to be the sub of coice right now, because they can be wired for 8ohms.

3. sinister audio

Master of My Domain
    09-24-06 #23

plate amps work great but so do pro amps and alot of those will run 1 or 2 ohms.

4. solacedagony

Master of My Domain
    09-24-06 #24

Quote Originally Posted by captaincheesey
    I guess I will go with a plate amp, but I am not looking for something with a massive amount of power, of course it won't take much to make the house shake so I want something weak. The JLs seem to be the sub of coice right now, because they can be wired for 8ohms.
    Yes, I was going to suggest you look at getting a plate amp. Also, like sinister said, pro amps also, but they will (probably) be a bit more expensive in general. Behringer makes pretty cheap pro amps, although their quality isn't all that great. But you get what you pay for.
    I would also suggest you look at Dayton or Peerless for a sub.
    Dayton's reference sub line is pretty nice. Not that expensive for a 15" either. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=295-469 and http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...Number=300-752 for an amplifier for it.
    Peerless' XLS and XXLS are a bit more expensive, but are great subs as well. www.madisound.com for those.

5. captaincheesey

09-25-06 #25

Ok, here is the low down. I have a ten inch space provided, the box is sealed and what not, but I have to search for other things that might propose a problem. These subs are for my room, being 17 and still living with my family in a middle class three bedroom house, the space is limited so basically, I am going for less boom than these 15 inch subs everyone is trying to pitch is going to allow. couldn't I just buy a couple 2-Channel amps, bridge them to get an 8 ohm load, and hook em up for these JLs? I know you guys are pushing actual home audio, but I heard that a friend of my brother has 4 12 inch MTXs in his house, the car ones. So I am just wondering if that would work. If I would I would find someone who can wire these or ask you guys for the help and I would be set.

If you need the link for the subs I'll be glad to provide it. They are JL W1v2, basically the chaper ones in the bunch. This might possibly become a next summer project or spring project for me before I go off to college. Maybe my mother will let me keep her speakers so I can set them up in my dorm. THe price range I am shooting for is about 500 max., this includes wires, subs, and amps. If neccesary I'll bump it up a couple hundred for amps since I know they will run quite a bit.

6. captaincheesey

09-25-06 #26

I looked at products, and all JL stuff, including dual amp wires is gonna run me about 670. I'll post the amp and wires and subs for you.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2731 -subs

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=252
    -amp

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...&Product_ID=21
    -amp kit

7. GlassWolf

09-26-06 #27

keep in mind this is in a large room, and not a car cabin, so a sealed box is going to roll off at 12dB/octave.
    If you wnt a "flat" response in a house, use a ported enclosure. the rise from the port will compensate for the roll off. there is no cabin gain to give a ported box the "oomph" you're used to in a car.
    this is why most home subs come ported.
    cat
    GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
    moderator-administrator

8. captaincheesey

11-22-06 #28

I remeasured the space a while back, it is made for 8 inch subs. The original ones in there are still in working order, WOOT! But, I am wanting to get rid of them. They are very old, my mother had them when I was born I think so we are talking at least 17 years old. Anyways, I know there are dealers on here and I was wondering if you guys could get RF P2s or P3s for cheap. That is what I ultimately are going for.

Reply please, possibly with a price list? If no one on here sells or can sell cheaper than what they offer online I'll probably ust buy from soniceletronix.

Page 3 of 3 123