Web: www.audiochemy.com
    www.abilenecaraudio.com
    www.abilenecaralarms.com
    FB: www.facebook.com/audio.alchemy

4. Chris from Washington

Shitters full!
    09-29-12 #14

Quote Originally Posted by Airforceyooper View Post
    My a-pillar build is along the same lines as kick/door panels. I used super glue to attach grill cloth, then smear super glue all into the grill cloth. That stiffens it up pretty well. Then you can fiberglass the backside or fill it with body filler, which is what I did. Then you use body filler on the front to smooth things out. Sand the crap out of it. You don't have to get the grill cloth perfect, the body filler can be used to clean it up.
    Ah superglue, never thought of that.
    So you take your grill cloth, lay it over your speaker ring. Then where it touches the plastic panel, you add the glue. or do you glue the entire piece?

How many layers of cloth do you use?

5. Robert Wollenberg

Thinkforyourselfer
    09-29-12 #15

You can glue it wherever you need to get the shape you're looking for. You can glue it to a cut edge or in the middle of your piece somewhere. I also use an accelerator on the glue to harden it quickly. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=340-630

I only use one layer of grill cloth to get a basic shape and then with fiberglass and/or body filler, I firm it up and complete the shape. Once you get some body filler or whatever in the back, you then can grind/sand into the cloth. The cloth is just to give you a basic shape and gives you a surface to start building up. The closer you get the cloth to where you want the final shape the less work you'll have to do to finish it off, but it doesn't have to be perfect. On my a pillars I had some nasty wrinkles in the cloth. I filled it in with body filler on both sides and sanded to where I wanted it.

oh, and on my a pillars it is draped over the baffle, but could also have been super glued to the edge of it. You can cut a relief around the edge of the baffle also to give you an edge to glue on and build up to with body filler.
    Robert R. Wollenberg
    Audio Alchemy, Owner
    Phone: (325) 480-2790
    E-mail: robert@abilenecaralarms.com
    www.abilenecaraudio.com
    www.abilenecaralarms.com

6. Chris from Washington

Shitters full!
    09-29-12 #16

Quote Originally Posted by Airforceyooper View Post
    You can glue it wherever you need to get the shape you're looking for. You can glue it to a cut edge or in the middle of your piece somewhere. I also use an accelerator on the glue to harden it quickly. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=340-630

I only use one layer of grill cloth to get a basic shape and then with fiberglass and/or body filler, I firm it up and complete the shape. Once you get some body filler or whatever in the back, you then can grind/sand into the cloth. The cloth is just to give you a basic shape and gives you a surface to start building up. The closer you get the cloth to where you want the final shape the less work you'll have to do to finish it off, but it doesn't have to be perfect. On my a pillars I had some nasty wrinkles in the cloth. I filled it in with body filler on both sides and sanded to where I wanted it.

oh, and on my a pillars it is draped over the baffle, but could also have been super glued to the edge of it. You can cut a relief around the edge of the baffle also to give you an edge to glue on and build up to with body filler.
    This is helpful, have another question.
    So if you glue the cloth to your panel, before fiber-glassing and you apply the resin from the inside. How do you apply the resin evenly with such a small hole to put your hand through. Or do you do like a milkshake kind of thing and swish it around in there until it hardens?

You should do a step by step on building these, I think it would be a great tutorial to have. Plus you could link back to your site maybe people in your area will see it and contact you about having you build stuff for them.

7. Robert Wollenberg

Thinkforyourselfer
    09-29-12 #17

You can use fiberglass mat shredded and soaked in resin. I've done that before. I usually leave access to the back of the project so I can get in and fiberglass the front real well. And, if you're making tweeter pods or something, the grill cloth and super glue will probably be enough strength without adding any fiberglass or body filler. You'd be surprised how strong that gets.

I don't worry about applying anything evenly from the back. Just jam it in all the nooks and crannies until you're comfortable there's no leaks and it's plenty strong enough. As you mess around with projects here and there, you'll get to where you don't even think about all that too much. You just start building until you're done.

I've got a couple customers I'm trying to talk into doing some fancier installs. If I can get any one of them to bite, I'll try to do a better step by step. Or maybe I'll just make up something else to build. lol. I do have to build a center console around my batteries, but that's not going to be much luck a speaker pod.
    Robert R. Wollenberg
    Audio Alchemy, Owner
    www.abilenecaraudio.com
    www.abilenecaralarms.com

8. JeremyC

Platinum Plus
    09-30-12 #18

My last speaker pods you could beat someone to death and it wouldn't hurt them.

I started with the same grill cloth, super glue / fiberglass resin base that Robert did, and then I mixed up a milk shake, and did the inside. They were way stronger than they needed to be. But it was simple, and fun to do. So why not.

Milk Shake recipe.

Fiberglass reinforced bondo.

Fiberglass resin / hardener. To make it creamy ;-)

And then an appropriate amount of bondo hardener (for the amount of bondo you used)

You can even go all Gary Biggs on it, and add lead pellets if you want to up the density and lower the RF.

9. Robert Wollenberg

Thinkforyourselfer
    09-30-12 #19

Yup, there are all sorts of ways to get to the final product. You use what you got and if it doesn't work, make another trip to lowes or parts plus or whatever and try again. I drove the truck to town with the new a-pillars in it and hated the color. So I pulled it all apart last night and repainted them black. 100 times better. I'll try to post pics tonight. I have to try to cram my 8"s into the doors now and maybe get my Nav system in. And I still don't have any power wires ran.
    Robert R. Wollenberg
    Audio Alchemy, Owner
    www.abilenecaraudio.com
    www.abilenecaralarms.com

10. Robert Wollenberg

Thinkforyourselfer
    09-30-12 #20

There's one guy, I've seen his work in a few places, they guy doesn't use any fiberglass or body filler. MDF only and he creates some works of art let me tell ya. If I can find one of his build threads I'll post it. The last one I saw was in a Mercedes convertible. Maybe Jeremy knows the one I'm talking about.
    Robert R. Wollenberg
    Audio Alchemy, Owner
    www.abilenecaraudio.com
    www.abilenecaralarms.com

Page 2 of 4 1234