User Tag List

Thank You Thank You:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Page 2 of 2 12

12738 Views Results 11 to 14 of 14

1. Purple RS

03-12-12 #11

A little more work this weekend. This in preparation for T56 transmission in the near (or not so near) future. From a friend, I acquired a scatter-shield (bell housing) and T56 adapter plate to mount to the rear of the motor. Probably overkill for now, but it will make the six-speed swap so much easier when the time comes. The scatter-shield I can use right away, but the adapter plate will have to wait for the T56. The setup will allow me to use an LS1 T56 and still use my 3rd-gen clutch, pedals, and hydraulics, all I need is an extended pilot bushing (the adapter is 1/2" thick so effectively shortens the input shaft), a new transmission cross-member for the T56, and shorten the drive-line.

Of course the swap did not go as planned...
    First, we found out that my builder drove the transmission alignment dowels too far into the block, so aligning the scatter-shield was a challenge. We did the best we could, but since my input shaft had a small amount of play, we went with what we had. Also, my friend didn't tell me that the stock trans-to-bell bolts wouldn't work for the scatter-shield, we spent nearly an hour looking through every bin in the shop for some bolts I could use until I replace them with some more correct graded bolts.

Here is where we were attempting to align the bell, a dial indicator will go on that shaft...

It's time for motor upgrade

Finished and ready to install the transmission...

Just a few bolts to tighten...

2. Chris from Washington

Shitters full!
    03-12-12 #12

Quote Originally Posted by Purple RS View Post
    A little more work this weekend. This in preparation for T56 transmission in the near (or not so near) future. From a friend, I acquired a scatter-shield (bell housing) and T56 adapter plate to mount to the rear of the motor. Probably overkill for now, but it will make the six-speed swap so much easier when the time comes. The scatter-shield I can use right away, but the adapter plate will have to wait for the T56. The setup will allow me to use an LS1 T56 and still use my 3rd-gen clutch, pedals, and hydraulics, all I need is an extended pilot bushing (the adapter is 1/2" thick so effectively shortens the input shaft), a new transmission cross-member for the T56, and shorten the drive-line.

Of course the swap did not go as planned...
    First, we found out that my builder drove the transmission alignment dowels too far into the block, so aligning the scatter-shield was a challenge. We did the best we could, but since my input shaft had a small amount of play, we went with what we had. Also, my friend didn't tell me that the stock trans-to-bell bolts wouldn't work for the scatter-shield, we spent nearly an hour looking through every bin in the shop for some bolts I could use until I replace them with some more correct graded bolts.

Here is where we were attempting to align the bell, a dial indicator will go on that shaft...

Finished and ready to install the transmission...

Just a few bolts to tighten...

This is all the stuff I know nothing about lol, but looks like you're making progress on it!!
    Having a shop to work in sounds nice too!

3. Purple RS

03-12-12 #13

Shop belongs to a friend By the time we were finishing up, I was thinking I might be staying the night. We finished up about 10:30pm and I was home just after 11:30 - he's a good 60 miles away...

BTW, I'm still learning as I go too.

4. Purple RS

04-22-12 #14

This weekend, I was able to dyno this motor. As far as I know, except for the crank, rods and pistons (which make it the 383 it is), all the internals of the motor are stock 350 parts. I need to do a bit more tuning, but I got some good power and torque to the rear wheels...

248 hp @ 4400 rpm
    348 lb/ft @ 3200 rpm

Page 2 of 2 12