Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

JL sub, spider detached

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: JL sub, spider detached

by Fishy » Sat May 28, 2005 2:19 pm

Oh and the spider is there to provide a suspension, or "spring force" for the cone/ former combo's mass as well as keep the the voice coil(s) aligned properly in the magnetic gap of the motor(guides the piston, yes).

-Fishy

by Fishy » Sat May 28, 2005 1:59 pm

As long as the voice coils didn't become misalligned enough to scrape the motor you're probably ok. I took apart a 5 1/4" mb Q to resolder a broken voice coil lead and glued the thing back together with contact cement. It lasted about a month before the former began separating from the spider. I glued it back with some 3M 5200 and its been going strong for 6 months now. In fact I can't really tell the dfference between it and the "good" driver.

-Fishy

by Dragon_fire » Sat May 28, 2005 10:30 am

also, I guess this happens a decent amount with speakers and is not that big of a deal ?

by Dragon_fire » Sat May 28, 2005 10:29 am

Too late. The spider is crazy glued back into place. Used actual crazy glue. I have it still on my fingers to prove it. Wtf is the spider for anyway ? guides the piston ?

by Ryan from Ohio » Sat May 28, 2005 10:22 am

I wouldnt use a "crazy glue"

Goto a decent home improvement store or Hobby store. Ask for CA Glue

by JeremyC » Sat May 28, 2005 9:28 am

Before you do anything check this out. I don't know how well the crazy glue will work, but that link will help you find the best type of glue to use in your situations.

http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/s ... .php?t=508

by Scarrell » Sat May 28, 2005 9:25 am

let me know what glue you use, because i need to do this with my Tempest..

JL sub, spider detached

by Dragon_fire » Sat May 28, 2005 9:16 am

Yep, my almost two year old JL 12w6v2 is dying...the spider is detaching from its resting place on the basket. Im gonna try crazy gluing that sucker back into place. The only reason I noticed is because there was a rattling at higher volumes and certain notes. If this is gonna royally F my sub then laugh at me now.
The spider material is porous so I guess the spider doesnt create an airtight seal with whatever its covering ? In my mind securing the spider back down will stop the rattle, hence forth making my sub back to normal. Let me know if this is correct, or if im just a moron.

Top