Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Anything I can do, i have 6.5s that wont fit because the basket is way to big

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Anything I can do, i have 6.5s that wont fit because the basket is way to big

by Mithrandir » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:22 pm

They look really good, the doors vibrate but that cant be helped, i shoulda made em shorter and the grills wouldnt fit so my dust caps are dented in :(

by Chris from Washington » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Mithrandir wrote:I did finish those pods, they are a bit big but they work

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1879[/ATTACH]

Dont have pics of em painted, anyway the paint cracked and I have to redo em (just gonna use a brush on the spot instead of the textured paint
Looks good, how do they look after you sanded them and everything? I need to make doorpods for the Camaro someday, I just suck at the fiberglassing.

by Mithrandir » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:57 pm

I did finish those pods, they are a bit big but they work
The attachment door pods 006.jpg is no longer available
Dont have pics of em painted, anyway the paint cracked and I have to redo em (just gonna use a brush on the spot instead of the textured paint
Attachments
door pods 006.jpg

by Greatwhtbuffalo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:53 am

Now if you can help me post some pics I could show you mine done I put mine in dash can't figure out how to attach pics here????

by Greatwhtbuffalo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:26 am

Also before u attach the first mold to the board use liquid nails to glue it as well and rivets or screws this will ensure no vibration noise between fiber glass and MDF use plenty of it it's cheap 1 tube will do both pods go to fabric store you can get 100s of choices for covering cheap. You should have money left over from 60$ easily bondo and hardner come together quart will do so does fiberglass resin and hardner get 1 gallon you'll be set

by Greatwhtbuffalo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:15 am

Also the cloth I'm talking about is fiberglass cloth its very strong and cheap with 60 $ you should be able to do two pods get bowls from dollar store along with wax paper any other ?s email me or call 956-357-3830 and I'll walk you through it over phone and answer any ?s u got. Trust me you can do it !!

by Greatwhtbuffalo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:08 am

Glass it!!! Use two plastic cereal bowls to start your molds. Use 1/2 inch MDF board to fill area wrap with cloth or leather of your choice. Make it big enough so u can run screws or through bolt it to door panel. Now back to glass work lay out wax paper then set bowl on paper use the cloth cut it in strips so you can lay them across each other like a tic tac toe game. Do that in couple layers cover the top of bowl with the wax paper tape it tight. Then do the layers. Make sure you make the strips of Cloth long enough to cover top of bowl and drape over to give your self something to attach the mold to the MDF I used pop rivets or u can use screws counter sink them alittle though once mold is attached to board cut hole for speaker then do two more layers and build inside of bowl area where it's hollow cut hole a little big once the other two coats are done and dry u will have your mold yes it's rough screw it again then whip up some bondo and make it smooth and pretty sand it glue with contact cement and wrap entire board and pod with whatever you choose cut hole open fir speaker make small hole for wire screw to door I used the heads of decoretive tacks to cover screws and walaaaaa!!!

by Mithrandir » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:01 am

if im gonna learn to fiberglass somthing id rather have the speakers in the door panel instead of the kick panels.

I guess ill try it if i cant make it right on my 2nd try ill just go back to tryin to sell the speakers haha

by JeremyC » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:40 pm

You want the speaker mounting to be as solid as possible. Thats why I suggested using a ring to mount the speaker to the door, and then building a trim panel to cover the whole thing.

You can build off of the door panel, but it takes a lot of bracing, and extra work to get it right.

The back needs to cover the entire carpeted area. The front can be a simple trim ring, or any shape you would like. The height of your trim ring, and pull the fleece will determine the shape.

This seems like a lot of work. Especially to get it right. Why not just glass a pair of kicks?

by Mithrandir » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:05 pm

JeremyC wrote:Plywood will be fine for the back, and it is lighter than mdf. Just make sure you build in your method for mounting, so it doesn't come loose closing the door.
As for the front. I would do a mdf ring, and then wrap the whole thing with fleese, and glass it from there.
Just make sure you round over the front edges of your mounting piece (the wood in the back). That way the fleece can flow smoothly, and you don't end up with a nasty raised edge.
I just got an idea, that will make this a little easier. Make a couple trim rings, and bolt the speaker to the door as normal. Then remove the factory grill cover, so the speaker has room to fit thru the door panel. Now all you have to do is make a grill cover to go over the speaker.
I would still do it so that it fills up the entire carpeted area. But now your talking about less weight and size. Not to mention your speaker is better mounted.
It wont fit right where the factory grill thing is. The speaker is too big and hits off of the rounded part of the door panel. I guess it would be ok if I put enough trim rings there.

Are you saying do that instead of glassing it or do that to check the fit?

Also if I make it the size of the carpeted area. Should I make a platform stretching the whole length so I can get a nice rounded shape for the fleece to rest on or will I just be able to form the fleece without any wooden supports except for the the MFD ring ect..

Top