by Ibstrange1 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:18 am
Hello, I am new here. I will track down the introduction thread to properly introduce myself, but I figured that I would start with seeing if someone can help me figure out what is going on with my system.
I have a 99 corolla, which has the above mentioned deck, an Alpine amp, and an Alpine 12" subwoofer. When I first bought the deck the system sounded pretty good, and it was bumping some solid base.
One day it stopped bumping. I thought that maybe my amplifier had failed, seeing as it is getting along in years. I noticed that the power light had turned off. I tested the remote wire, and it was reading about 3 volts. I ran a wire from the positive terminal on the amp to the renote, and the amp turned on. I then checked the remote voltage at the deck, and it was low. I pulled the deck and took it back to where I bought it, and when they hooked it up to their test system, it worked fine.
I reinstalled the stereo, and not the amp was powering up, but still no bass. I bought an adapter cord from amazon for a few bucks which let me plug my phone directly into the amp inputs. I had bass. Thinking that perhaps my rca cables got a short in them, I replaced them. I still had no bass from the deck. Out of curiosity I plugged my rcas into the front output instead of the sub output on the amp, and I heard the subwoofer make some attempt at working. I set the meter to read ac voltage, and was getting about 1.75v from the front outputs, and 0.05v from the sub output. I made sure that the subwoofer was set to on in the audio settings, and I turned up all of the bass options, but still no signal out of the decks subwoofer output. I pulled the deck and took it back to the dealer, asked them to hook up all the wires to see if maybe that was the difference, and the thing worked. I double checked to make sure that they had set it up like I had it in my car, and it was pushing the sub they had for testing. I did notice that they had to turn the head unit up pretty high to get the sib to move, and when I mentioned that, they said that the test amp had some issues, but that the deck was clearly pushing it.
I am stymied. Does anyone here know what might cause this strange behavior in my system?
Hello, I am new here. I will track down the introduction thread to properly introduce myself, but I figured that I would start with seeing if someone can help me figure out what is going on with my system.
I have a 99 corolla, which has the above mentioned deck, an Alpine amp, and an Alpine 12" subwoofer. When I first bought the deck the system sounded pretty good, and it was bumping some solid base.
One day it stopped bumping. I thought that maybe my amplifier had failed, seeing as it is getting along in years. I noticed that the power light had turned off. I tested the remote wire, and it was reading about 3 volts. I ran a wire from the positive terminal on the amp to the renote, and the amp turned on. I then checked the remote voltage at the deck, and it was low. I pulled the deck and took it back to where I bought it, and when they hooked it up to their test system, it worked fine.
I reinstalled the stereo, and not the amp was powering up, but still no bass. I bought an adapter cord from amazon for a few bucks which let me plug my phone directly into the amp inputs. I had bass. Thinking that perhaps my rca cables got a short in them, I replaced them. I still had no bass from the deck. Out of curiosity I plugged my rcas into the front output instead of the sub output on the amp, and I heard the subwoofer make some attempt at working. I set the meter to read ac voltage, and was getting about 1.75v from the front outputs, and 0.05v from the sub output. I made sure that the subwoofer was set to on in the audio settings, and I turned up all of the bass options, but still no signal out of the decks subwoofer output. I pulled the deck and took it back to the dealer, asked them to hook up all the wires to see if maybe that was the difference, and the thing worked. I double checked to make sure that they had set it up like I had it in my car, and it was pushing the sub they had for testing. I did notice that they had to turn the head unit up pretty high to get the sib to move, and when I mentioned that, they said that the test amp had some issues, but that the deck was clearly pushing it.
I am stymied. Does anyone here know what might cause this strange behavior in my system?