Started by dakingjames23 at 04-17-07, 08:53 PM

Next Thread

MB Quart

Started by dakingjames23 at 04-28-07, 11:29 AM

What Members Wrote...

2. smoker

Master of My Domain
    04-23-07 #2

well, it depends on the install, id bet that if you powered them both appropriately and built boxes specific to spl that the larger sub will almost always be louder, but i bet if you tossed them as hard as you could the smaller one would go farther

3. cargodz

Master of My Domain
    04-23-07 #3

Well let's put this comparison up as simple as possible... both tuned the same in the proper enclosure for each in the same vehicle, and will give each 800watts rms, the 12" still has more surface area and there for will produce a slightly larger spl number and take into account that if you were to feed it the extra 200watts that it's capable of (1000w rms) you will raise that number even further.
    This type of thing comes up all the time due to circumstance, you have to take in all the factors.
    1) Enclosure - A cheap sub in a good box can sound 100x better and get louder than a better sub in the wrong enclosure
    2) Vehicle and placement - The vehicle itself makes a big difference, as one may allow for higher spl number than another (there's a reason that wagons, minivans, full size vans, and similar are used for BIG spl and not a small car with a small trunk)
    3) Power - The amount of power that you feed to the sub is an obvious, but sometimes overlooked by the novice (They think that a bigger sub equals more bass, but that's not always the case when you may be feeding one 12" only a quarter of what it can handle and feeding a 10" to it's full potential)

There's a whole lot more than that, but that's a quick run through of some of the basics in simple terms
    -Michael
    [URL="http://www.teamcargodzinc.com"]http://www.teamcargodzinc.com[/URL] :thumbsup
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Hear It, See It, Feel It, Punch It![/FONT][/SIZE]
    And Proud Sponsor of
    [URL="http://www.teamwolfpackaudio.com"][B][I]Team Wolf Pack Audio[/I][/B][/URL]
    Authorized Dealer

4. smoker

Master of My Domain
    04-23-07 #4

but given the same bowl of beans the fat lady can compress more air while the skinny one has a higher resonant frequency so if you tune them each to their own respective resonant frequency and give them the recomennded power teh skinny chic can vibrate more than the fat one and even though shes compressing less air shes moving it faster so i think this is a highly speculative subject that needs further testing, because we need to account for things like, adjacent back fat vibrations which while nonexistant on the skinny chic could actually artificially inflate the fat girls output
    Last edited by smoker; 04-23-07 at 12:15 PM.

5. William from NOLA

Vroom!
    04-23-07 #5

lmao!!!

nice smoker
    A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002

6. Chris from Washington

Shitters full!
    04-23-07 #6

Quote Originally Posted by smoker
    but given the same bowl of beans the fat lady can compress more air while the skinny one has a higher resonant frequency so if you tune them each to their own respective resonant frequency and give them the recomennded power teh skinny chic can vibrate more than the fat one and even though shes compressing less air shes moving it faster so i think this is a highly speculative subject that needs further testing, because we need to account for things like, adjacent back fat vibrations which while nonexistant on the skinny chic could actually artificially inflate the fat girls output
    wow I learned something today!

7. smoker

Master of My Domain
    04-23-07 #7

hey,nobody knows the gastrointestinal side of fat chics like i do!

8. breakjunki

04-23-07 #8

Maybe this will help, maybe not.. One of the last big systems I built I used three pioneer premier 12's run off of a jbl 1200. I've never been a fan of pioneer woofers but for the price about $70 apiece I was pretty impressed for a $70 tweleve inch woofer. I only gave each 12 about 350 rms apiece and they were plenty loud for a daily driver. But just about any good 12 done riht will be lud enough for a daily driver.

9. smoker

Master of My Domain
    04-23-07 #9

you sayin i didnt help?

10. breakjunki

04-23-07 #10

As far as fat chic port hole resonance I think were clear .. thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12