Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Experience with PHOENIX GOLD Ti6 Comp ELITE component speakers?

All speaker/sub woofer related questions.
shagdrum
Junior Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:29 pm

Experience with PHOENIX GOLD Ti6 Comp ELITE component speakers?

Post by shagdrum »

I am lookin to upgrade to these at the start of the new year. They will be installed in the doors a 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII (no kick panels). I will be using the Alpine PDX line of amps. Most likely a PDX 4.150 for these components and the rear stage and a PDX 1.600 for the sub. I can add another amp if neccessary.


In the search for info/feedback on these components, some posted on another message board that these components only like around 150 watts RMS, even though they are rated at 300 watts RMS. He direced me to this message board as the source for this claim. After searching here, I found a post by someone on another forum who said a buddy of his had problems with the tweets blowing when the component set was given full power (at least that is what I got from reading it). I don't wanna give these components too much and ruin them, especially for the price are rareness of these components

I also have a pair of 10" kicker solobarics (old school round style SQ subs; S10d's) that are powered by an Eclipse XA1000. By powered, I mean underpowered. They barely produce any bass (hence another motivation to change the set up at the beginning of the year).
I don't wanna underpower the components and get less then optimal performance from the woofer


Here are my questions:
(1)Can the PG Elaite components handle the power they are rated at or not?

(2)If they can't handle the rated power, in your opinon, then what power would you recommend running them at?

(3)For those running these components, what has been your experience? What kind of power are the speakers getting in your setup? Are they in kick panels, or doors? is the midbass underpowered? Basically, feedback please.

(4) This is about rear fill. The factory holes in the rear are for 5x7's, though I could probably modify them for 6x9's. If the PG Elites are seeing 300 watts RMS, would the rear fill speakers be drowned out if they aren't getting the same power (assuming they are rated for it)? In other words, do I need to balance the front and rear stages as far as power is concerned to keep from an imbalance in volume here? Also, any recommendations for rear fill speakers?

Sorry for the long post; just wanna have all my ducks in a row before I do the install. Thanks in advance for any and all input, it is greatly appriciated. :)
cargodz
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4771
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:21 am
Location: NW Ohio
Contact:

Post by cargodz »

Well I can't help much on the PGs as I've never run or even heard them, but I can give you one word of advise... ditch the rears entirely or if you feel the need throw a midbass in there.
You're worried about the fronts drowning the rears out when in essence our ears are designed to hear from the front and the sides. Trust me it will sound better than you think ;)
I'm sure one of our SQ guys will chime in with more :)
-Michael
http://www.teamcargodzinc.com :thumbsup
Hear It, See It, Feel It, Punch It!
And Proud Sponsor of
Team Wolf Pack Audio
Authorized Dealer
Post Reply