Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Elevation Audio, 168db?

Post all your general car audio questions here.
spkrman
Senior Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Post by spkrman »

[quote="audiobass10"]Well, I personally respect SQ guys big time, but let's face the facts..some people love LOUD music. It seems as folks get older, they tend to steer twoards SQ. Putting together a great SQ system can get very *costly* and many people just can't afford it. For daily driving, the best of both worlds works for me. Something that sounds clear and get's plenty loud. But you already knew that ]

I do SPL because I prefer to be judged by a 100% objective METER.

SQ I'm not falling victim to a low score because the judge didnt' think my equipment was up to par, even though it sounds top notch. If it sounds good to me, thats all that really matters :)

That being said... i'll enter into an SQ comp for fun.. i entered last year and somehow took second, out of 3 or 4 at state finals... lost to a hardcore SQ guy but thats ok - i beat the other boomheads!
Fishy
Senior Member
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:29 pm
Location: Tamarac (Ft. Laud), FL

Post by Fishy »

I don't listen to music to be judged although it is nice when people appreciate the time and effort gone into building a good system.

-Fishy
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

Well, I personally respect SQ guys big time, but let's face the facts..some people love LOUD music.
now here's the thing. SQ doesn't mean it won't get loud. Especially dealing with SQL setups. Trust me when I tell you that even though my car is set up purely with SQ in mind, it still gets louder than you'd be comfortable with sitting in the car, without even approaching full volume. The other thing to remember is that if you're talking about "SPL event" cars, they aren't cars for listening to music in. Usually they're using enclosures tuned to 50-70Hz range, and their only goal is peak SPL score, and not audible quality in any way. If you get someone saying they compete for SPL, and they still use the car for daily driving and to listen to music with the same system, chances are in reality they're more about SQL, or they're weekend warrior SPL people.
It's really a matter of your main goal. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive for the most part until you get into pretty high end systems for events. Prior to that level, it's really more about your primary focus. some want it loud, and just want it to sound half decent, and others want accuracy that rivals a good home system, which keep in mind, usually equates to using components that as a side-effect are going to get pretty loud anyway. I mean really, my car is SQ based, but we're still talking about 8 speakers and 2500+ watts of power. It's bound to be pretty loud, and if you define loud as feeling it in your chest, and seeing things bounce around the roof of the car, it's loud. If you define loud as highest state SPL score, metered remotely without someone in the car, for a 15 second burst, no, it's not that loud.

This is where my argument always arises that I'd rather have functionality from a system, or in other words, a system that sounds good to me when I drive the car, and not one I can only show off at metered events, but can't really use day to day to listen to music on my way to work.

I see Feandil creating line arrays for home systems that'll blow ya out of the room if he ever figures out what he's doing, but I'm happy with my MartinLogans, which may not get as loud, but in my opinion, the transparence of the system is phenominal.. it's like actually being in a live jazz club, without all the cigarette smoke, and drunk people at the bar.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
crzystng
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:00 pm
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Contact:

Post by crzystng »

nothing like a killer sql system in my opinion. something that can bring the real concert stage into your face and keep it there. sometimes even louder than the concert (if that is possible). everyone laughs at first when they see my mids and tweets facing directly at you, untill they realize the it is uncomfortably loud and stays extremly clear and crisp while breaking your ear drums. sq, well I agree that the judges can be pricks and simply dock you cause they dont like how you are setup, cosmetics, equpiment used, how it sounds. but I honestly dont think they do it to compete like that, it is more for themselves and if you cant enjoy your music then really what is the point? showing off?
I'm only 23 years old and don't consider myself to be an old timer, but like to hear all the little chimes that bounce off the doors of shoot from front to back. imaging. phasing and allignment are hard to get right the first time. it takes time, patientce, experience, and a little luck to get it to where YOU want it to be.
I have in my box of a vehicle a perfect center image with great extension left, right fowards, and backwards, while the whole thing is completly ON axis.. and its not all its cracked up to be. esp when you are sitting off center!! LOL. but when you crank it up it hurts but yet if you can stand the punnishment of it being so loud you can hear all that stuff still going on at once. ;)

Image
http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/816083/1
bigbassman
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: Dawson, WV

Post by bigbassman »

wow... what a mess of a thread...

you guys are dismissing Mark's numbers with the Type R 12... I better not mention all the crazy numbers we do down here with the least of equipment...

I'd be willing to start posting tons of SPL related info... but you all gonna have to play a bit nicer with me :)

Loyd L.
audiobass10
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Cape Coral, Florida

Post by audiobass10 »

bigbassman wrote:wow... what a mess of a thread...

you guys are dismissing Mark's numbers with the Type R 12... I better not mention all the crazy numbers we do down here with the least of equipment...

I'd be willing to start posting tons of SPL related info... but you all gonna have to play a bit nicer with me :)

Loyd L.
I'd be interested. I've read some of the stuff you've wrote on splbassX, SIN and any others that I can't remember at the moment. Spkrman's helped me a ton through aim, so I don't doubt any of his scores. SPL is a never ending boat of knowledge. Fun stuff. We need more competitors on the forum. Post away :thumbsup
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

that's why there's an SPL forum here.. I'm pretty sure it's open to everyone and not plat only.
not positive. I'll have to look.

I didn't doubt his claims by the way. I think the dispute was with the aggressive attitude perceived, and not the scores.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
spkrman
Senior Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Post by spkrman »

KikiTheCat wrote:I think the dispute was with the aggressive attitude perceived, and not the scores.
?

whats that mean.
bigbassman
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: Dawson, WV

Post by bigbassman »

forum told me the SPL section is private..

Loyd L.
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

bigbassman wrote:forum told me the SPL section is private..

Loyd L.
Oh, then the way it is setup is where you need to join the usergroup. I believe it is in your usercp.
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
Post Reply