Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Alpine Type R 12" 2ohm DVC help

Post all your general car audio questions here.
Laparka22
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:22 pm

Alpine Type R 12" 2ohm DVC help

Post by Laparka22 »

Hi I just recently bought a Alpine Type R 12" the 2 ohm DVC one and a 3 cu ft. ported box. I was thinking of getting the hifonics BXI 608 it pushes 600w at 1 ohm but I heard mixed opionions about this amp. Some poeple were saying that its not a good idea to run 1 ohm for everyday listening. Some poeple were also complaining that this amp stopped working for them when running 1 ohm for long periods of time. I was also considering getting the JL audio 500/1 v2 and just wire the sub in 4 ohm. Should I just save my money for the Jl audio amp or should I go with the hifonics BXI 608? Thanks!
User avatar
MobileAudio219
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Sullivan Missouri

Post by MobileAudio219 »

I think running that amp at 1 ohm would be perfectly fine. My cousin runs 2 12" type r's off a bxi1200.1 @ 1 ohm and it does fine...

The type r's and hifonics amps are highly reccomended from me if youre on a tight budget...
cool mr grinch
Senior Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Corpus Christi Texas
Contact:

Post by cool mr grinch »

i run 2 re se 10s on a brutus bxi2008d at 1ohm daily.
James-aka-Cool Mr Grinch
Mack trucks electronics specialist and problem solver.
Laparka22
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:22 pm

Post by Laparka22 »

So you guys think that Hifonics would do the job fine? Worth it to save for the JL audio or just go with Hifonics?
User avatar
MobileAudio219
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Sullivan Missouri

Post by MobileAudio219 »

Laparka22 wrote:So you guys think that Hifonics would do the job fine? Worth it to save for the JL audio or just go with Hifonics?
Honestly the JL is a better amp. Will you notice a difference in sound? Eh, probably not so much.

If youre on a budget and want a decent amp, go with the hifonics. If you have the extra money (or dont mind saving for a while), than yes, theres better out there (but for more money.)
Laparka22
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:22 pm

Post by Laparka22 »

I'll only have to wait a month to save, I think I'll just go with the JL. Thanks for the advise.
User avatar
MobileAudio219
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Sullivan Missouri

Post by MobileAudio219 »

Laparka22 wrote:I'll only have to wait a month to save, I think I'll just go with the JL. Thanks for the advise.
The JL makes good amps. We could go on and on about what amp would work the best for you, but I think everyone here will agree that the jl should work out well for you. Now we may get some argument about rather or not it's over priced, but thats just one of those things....

I think you'll be please though!
Laparka22
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:22 pm

Post by Laparka22 »

One more question. When you guys have a new sub do you break it in? If so how? Or do you just listen to it right away?
User avatar
MobileAudio219
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Sullivan Missouri

Post by MobileAudio219 »

Laparka22 wrote:One more question. When you guys have a new sub do you break it in? If so how? Or do you just listen to it right away?
I always try to take it semi easy (like 1/2 volume instead of 3/4's) for the first few hours. I don't know if alpine suggest a break in period or not, but it's certainly not going to hurt anything. :D

Bill (bwcad1) or whatever is log in name is, he'd be the person to ask. Well him and alpine! :D

Uhm, I notice the alpines seem to sound better after a few hours play. Actually I've notice that with a few different subs.

What kind of car do you have? Whats the box tuned to? prefab?
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

IMO there really isnt a specific process to break in a sub. All the break in does is loosen up the spiders. The first few hours of the sub playing will break it in. I never do anything specific.
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Post Reply