Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Convertible Speaker Replacement

All speaker/sub woofer related questions.
daBee

Convertible Speaker Replacement

Post by daBee »

Hiya folks.

I got two rear blown speakers in my convertible. I want to replace, but the replacement speakers are long gone as the car is 25 years old. Here's the only reference I have on this:

YouTube

The current unit, as per the suggestion of the video above, says there's a mid and a tweeter in the assembly, and they are separate. Tech is much better now and it's been suggested to me I could use these, being full range, in a single unit:

Kicker 46CSC44 CS-Series 4" 2-Way Coaxial Speakers | World Wide Stereo

Without opening the car panel, I don't know the depth. The video above might indicate how deep the mid-range speaker can be. I've been told previously that it's a restriction in depth (speaker height).

Does this look possible without me having to modify anything? I want this quick and easy, and am wondering if this is as easy as it seems. I'm concerned that the separation of low and high channels to the different channels will not play well with the full-range speaker. I might be missing out on a disconnected high-end.

Anyway, any insight appreciated on how I can get this accomplished.

Cheers
daBee

Re: Convertible Speaker Replacement

Post by daBee »

I took some pictures of the mount, which is the difficult part. But first, some new observations:
- single feed line for full range
- 4" speaker (100 mm)
- 56 mm depth of OEM unit
The mount is the issue here. It's not standard. Can I just drill this and use flange foam tape to seal it?
Can anybody suggest some options?

Cheers
IMG_6206.jpg
IMG_6206.jpg
IMG_6206.jpg
Attachments
IMG_6207.jpg
IMG_6198.jpg
Chris from Washington

Post by Chris from Washington »

daBee wrote:I took some pictures of the mount, which is the difficult part. But first, some new observations:
- single feed line for full range
- 4" speaker (100 mm)
- 56 mm depth of OEM unit
The mount is the issue here. It's not standard. Can I just drill this and use flange foam tape to seal it?
Can anybody suggest some options?

Cheers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2150[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2151[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2152[/ATTACH]
Are you trying to mount your new speakers into that plastic holder?
You have a couple options, you can try and modify that bezel and adapt it to fit your new speakers.
Or you can try and create your own mounting bracket mount your speaker to that, and then mount the assy to the car in teh factory spot.
daBee

Post by daBee »

Chris from Washington wrote:Are you trying to mount your new speakers into that plastic holder?
You have a couple options, you can try and modify that bezel and adapt it to fit your new speakers.
Or you can try and create your own mounting bracket mount your speaker to that, and then mount the assy to the car in teh factory spot.
Yes, there is no option. That mount/enclosure I have to use. Making a mount is something I don't want to do. I don't have the time, the tools, nor the patience. I can modify the current mount, which is perfectly good, but I have to find a way of tapping into it. I just don't know the tools or methods used by those in the know. But other forums are sending some ideas.

Cheers
Chris from Washington

Just watched the video, looks like he put some type of ring inside the opening so his upgraded speaker doesn't fall through.
Is that correct? I wonder if something like that could be 3d printed?
daBee

Post by daBee »

I think so. Some kind of rubber gasket that's white. I bought some black stuff today. 3D printing is something I am somewhat chasing, but I've ordered speakers that seem to fit. I'll re-assess when the speakers get here.

The plot thickens...
Chris from Washington

wonder if you can make something like this work?
Front Door Speaker Adapter for BMW vehicles by holdestmade - Thingiverse

there are a few different templates on Thingiverse
daBee

Post by daBee »

Well, that's a last resort. Someone else on another forum recommended aluminum as well. But I've ordered some speakers that might be compatible with the current setup and some gasket. So I will have to wait for delivery.