Page 2 of 2

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:01 am
by falkenbd
Airforceyooper wrote:I'm well aware of how deadening works Bill, thanks. lol. You don't have to be so defensive. The constrained layer stops reattles and lowers the resonant frequency of whatever it's stuck to. MLF

It doesn't really stop rattles, and it has a lot less effect on resonant frequency that you might think. Stopping rattles COULD be a side effect

Adding mass lowers RF, and stiffening raises it. CLD does both of those things so it kind of doesn't change the RF all that much. Besides, lowering the RF of something can be bad, especially if it was previously above the passband of a nearby speaker for example.

The TRUE use of CLD is to dampen vibrational/acoustical energy in the substrate by using sheer force to convert it into heat energy. Basically the foil layer is an actuator that thru the adhesive layer places pressure back on the substrate in order to lower the vibrational energy.

Your cheap CLD mats, that have mylar foil, pretty much do just lower the RF without adding much stiffening.

ALL CLD is not created equal, even if it has the same thickness, there are other factors.

I know that Don has developed the butyl compound used in his tiles, worked with the producer of the product to improve it many times over before selling it.


As far as testing against other products, I haven't gone farther than subjective testing at this point, I'm getting to the point where I realize it wouldn't be worth my time because no buddy gives a shit, they still buy 4x the amount they really need of the cheapest shit they can find and put it everywhere 2-3 layers thick. Its also very hard to reduce the variables in this test to properly prove which material is truly the best.

I can pretty easily show you that the cheap stuff is worse than the good stuff tho. Get 2 12x12" panels of sheet metal. Put a 3"x3" peice of deadner in the center of it hang them up by the corner and hit them with something. One will sound like a cymbal, one will sound a lot less like a cymbal.

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:53 pm
by GlassWolf
Falken and Bill should team up and write a paper on the function of various sound deadening materials for the FAQ section. I'd love to have that for referral material for folks. I really don't feel like writing at the moment though, and I'm not a mechanical engineer.. lol you guys may have a better grasp on some of it than I do. In any event, it'd make a great reference ppiece for the site. If someone wants to write it, I can post it to the FAQs for you, or edit it for grammar etc, then just move the post to the proper place.
whatever works

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:59 pm
by Bwcad1
I think we can do that

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:29 pm
by Robert Wollenberg
I can edit for grammar. I edit all day long for the Air Force anyway. :(

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:04 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
Heres what my fortune cookie said yesterday.

"Even the smartest person can learn something from the dumbest."

:fing02:

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:10 am
by JeremyC
Yeah the art of sound deadening has changed a ton in the last few years. I actually had to do some reading of my own last night to get caught up to what you guys were talking about.

That being said, I would love to see a paper written and posted to our faq section.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:36 am
by GlassWolf
I've just had a few people ask about sound damping. I told them if things work out, there should be a great article on it coming soon.. haha

Heck I still have about 5 gallons of eDead v3 liquid in paint cans sitting in my garage.. haha

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:22 am
by falkenbd
its all on my website, I need to do some editing and maybe I'll cross post it here.