Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
3-way 4-way - what to do
3-way 4-way - what to do
OK, I'm thinking about getting a deck that has built in 3-way crossovers. Which deck doesn't matter for this debate, there are plenty of options available. I'd like to have the active crossovers now so I can ditch my passives and get some different drivers up front.
The issue I'm having is, I'd eventually like to do 4-way. (3-way + sub). I have enough amps to do a full 3-way plus a sub, but not the speakers at the moment. I'd also like to be able to have some equalization control without having to buy an equalizer for every pair of pre-outs but thats a different story.
Lets just say the 4-way would be sub up to 80 hz, midbass from 63 hz - ~300 hz, mid from ~300 hz - ~7kz and tweeter from 7khz up. This is just a ROUGH estimate from the drivers I've been looking at. I'd prefer flexibility in all directions.
If I were to get a deck with 3-way crossovers, what do you have to do to get to 4-way? I'd prefer something pre-amp. I'm thinking I'd need to be able to take a signal that is bandpassed between 80 hz and 7 hkz already and split it to one that is bandpassed for the midbass and the midrange.
Another option I have thought of is splitting one of the RCAs to 2 amps and just putting a HPF and LPF on the outgoing speaker cables. But I was hoping to avoid using any passive x-overs so I have a little more flexibility. Or even trying to use crossovers on the amps ( this would limit it to having 200 hz as the high-end of the crossover - and might work)
Basically I'm trying to decide if I should get a 3-way deck and add processing later or save up for the Clarion deck that can do 4-way... Or save up for the Alpine H701 unit.
The issue I'm having is, I'd eventually like to do 4-way. (3-way + sub). I have enough amps to do a full 3-way plus a sub, but not the speakers at the moment. I'd also like to be able to have some equalization control without having to buy an equalizer for every pair of pre-outs but thats a different story.
Lets just say the 4-way would be sub up to 80 hz, midbass from 63 hz - ~300 hz, mid from ~300 hz - ~7kz and tweeter from 7khz up. This is just a ROUGH estimate from the drivers I've been looking at. I'd prefer flexibility in all directions.
If I were to get a deck with 3-way crossovers, what do you have to do to get to 4-way? I'd prefer something pre-amp. I'm thinking I'd need to be able to take a signal that is bandpassed between 80 hz and 7 hkz already and split it to one that is bandpassed for the midbass and the midrange.
Another option I have thought of is splitting one of the RCAs to 2 amps and just putting a HPF and LPF on the outgoing speaker cables. But I was hoping to avoid using any passive x-overs so I have a little more flexibility. Or even trying to use crossovers on the amps ( this would limit it to having 200 hz as the high-end of the crossover - and might work)
Basically I'm trying to decide if I should get a 3-way deck and add processing later or save up for the Clarion deck that can do 4-way... Or save up for the Alpine H701 unit.
Go for the Clarion DRZ9255..that deck can do all things. It is heavenly.
unless you have an Alpine HU that is processor controller, then with the H701 unit, you will have to go with an RUXC-701 processor controller. It is another din unit and it will take place of the volume control on whatever head unit you will buy.
unless you have an Alpine HU that is processor controller, then with the H701 unit, you will have to go with an RUXC-701 processor controller. It is another din unit and it will take place of the volume control on whatever head unit you will buy.
IASCA Certified SQ Judge
USACi Certified SQ Judge
MECA Certified SQ Judge
2010 USACi Spring Break Jam Modified SQ Champion
Moderator for https://www.facebook.com/groups/524841581331183/
CVD Audio Sales and Acquisitions Team
http://www.cvdaudio.com
USACi Certified SQ Judge
MECA Certified SQ Judge
2010 USACi Spring Break Jam Modified SQ Champion
Moderator for https://www.facebook.com/groups/524841581331183/
CVD Audio Sales and Acquisitions Team
http://www.cvdaudio.com
Do you know the model number? Are you talking about the P9 combo?
The only problem I have with the clarion is, you are limited to a 5 band PEQ.
I'm not sure if it gives you any EQ that can be adjusted for each side. If I wanted to have more EQ control I'd have to add an EQ on each of the 3 pre-out ??????
The only problem I have with the clarion is, you are limited to a 5 band PEQ.
I'm not sure if it gives you any EQ that can be adjusted for each side. If I wanted to have more EQ control I'd have to add an EQ on each of the 3 pre-out ??????
the PEQ is enough for your mid bass and sub. The only thing you would need separate right and left control for is your tweeters, and mids.
And thats only if you want to tweak by each freq to center your sound stage.
If your not going to spend a ton of time positioning your mids and tweets, the peq will work just fine.
And thats only if you want to tweak by each freq to center your sound stage.
If your not going to spend a ton of time positioning your mids and tweets, the peq will work just fine.
I know this is kinda pricey but would this work? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_953 ... QL-8.html#
I was looking into the 4-way thing too, but I cant find a cheaper way.
I was looking into the 4-way thing too, but I cant find a cheaper way.
^^^^^^ +1gajillion
Jeremy knows what he is talking about with the Audio control pieces
Jeremy knows what he is talking about with the Audio control pieces
IASCA Certified SQ Judge
USACi Certified SQ Judge
MECA Certified SQ Judge
2010 USACi Spring Break Jam Modified SQ Champion
Moderator for https://www.facebook.com/groups/524841581331183/
CVD Audio Sales and Acquisitions Team
http://www.cvdaudio.com
USACi Certified SQ Judge
MECA Certified SQ Judge
2010 USACi Spring Break Jam Modified SQ Champion
Moderator for https://www.facebook.com/groups/524841581331183/
CVD Audio Sales and Acquisitions Team
http://www.cvdaudio.com