Page 1 of 2

head unit repair in progress, please chime in:

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:56 am
by falkenbd
Today I am in the process of getting a 12v power supply (might be a battery or an atx power supply) any tips on that would be helpful as well.

I am thinking if I put the face in the open position it will allow me to access the front enough to get a better idea of how to replace the cable.

Is it advisable to hook the unit up to 12v, hit the open button, and then disconnect it in order to leave the face in the open position?

Here are some pics of my progress. Anyone with experience in this, please chime in...

PICS:

the unit before touching.
Image

Image

top off:

Image

Image

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:57 am
by falkenbd
heat sink off

Image

Image

Image

removing a screw on one side

Image

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:57 am
by falkenbd
bottom view
Image

The trim peice I am attempting to remove (it seems that the deck needs to be open for this)

Image

Image

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:57 am
by Ryan from Ohio
Hard to say really... But if it makes it easier to do go for it. Just be careful with the little springs if there is any...

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:08 pm
by falkenbd
so am I nuts?

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:18 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
Not at all.

Cheaper to do it yourself than a shop. If you can hack it.

Looks like you will do just fine.

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:30 pm
by falkenbd
opened this little cover on the bottom...

Image

Image

comparing new cable:
Image

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:47 pm
by falkenbd
if you look in the next pictures, the motor and gears that run the deck face are attached to a little frame. I took out the screws for that frame and was hoping it'd help me get the face off.

No such luck, looks like I need to get a 12v battery to do this for sure. more updates tomorrow

Image

Image

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:30 pm
by falkenbd
got the power supply to work. here is a few pics of the process:

soldered a resistoer between a 5v and ground:

Image

Image

Image

soldered the sense, and a ground to make it on all the time... imporant - don't leave it plugged in:

Image

added alligator plugs to a 12v and ground:

Image

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:31 pm
by falkenbd
wow, i didn't have to open any of the stuff that I opened...

Image

looks like I'll be calling the place I ordered my cable from tomorrow...