Page 1 of 2

Alpine Type R 12" 2ohm DVC help

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:05 pm
by Laparka22
Hi I just recently bought a Alpine Type R 12" the 2 ohm DVC one and a 3 cu ft. ported box. I was thinking of getting the hifonics BXI 608 it pushes 600w at 1 ohm but I heard mixed opionions about this amp. Some poeple were saying that its not a good idea to run 1 ohm for everyday listening. Some poeple were also complaining that this amp stopped working for them when running 1 ohm for long periods of time. I was also considering getting the JL audio 500/1 v2 and just wire the sub in 4 ohm. Should I just save my money for the Jl audio amp or should I go with the hifonics BXI 608? Thanks!

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:22 pm
by MobileAudio219
I think running that amp at 1 ohm would be perfectly fine. My cousin runs 2 12" type r's off a bxi1200.1 @ 1 ohm and it does fine...

The type r's and hifonics amps are highly reccomended from me if youre on a tight budget...

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:45 pm
by cool mr grinch
i run 2 re se 10s on a brutus bxi2008d at 1ohm daily.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:14 pm
by Laparka22
So you guys think that Hifonics would do the job fine? Worth it to save for the JL audio or just go with Hifonics?

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:23 pm
by MobileAudio219
Laparka22 wrote:So you guys think that Hifonics would do the job fine? Worth it to save for the JL audio or just go with Hifonics?
Honestly the JL is a better amp. Will you notice a difference in sound? Eh, probably not so much.

If youre on a budget and want a decent amp, go with the hifonics. If you have the extra money (or dont mind saving for a while), than yes, theres better out there (but for more money.)

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:35 pm
by Laparka22
I'll only have to wait a month to save, I think I'll just go with the JL. Thanks for the advise.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:44 pm
by MobileAudio219
Laparka22 wrote:I'll only have to wait a month to save, I think I'll just go with the JL. Thanks for the advise.
The JL makes good amps. We could go on and on about what amp would work the best for you, but I think everyone here will agree that the jl should work out well for you. Now we may get some argument about rather or not it's over priced, but thats just one of those things....

I think you'll be please though!

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:50 pm
by Laparka22
One more question. When you guys have a new sub do you break it in? If so how? Or do you just listen to it right away?

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:28 pm
by MobileAudio219
Laparka22 wrote:One more question. When you guys have a new sub do you break it in? If so how? Or do you just listen to it right away?
I always try to take it semi easy (like 1/2 volume instead of 3/4's) for the first few hours. I don't know if alpine suggest a break in period or not, but it's certainly not going to hurt anything. :D

Bill (bwcad1) or whatever is log in name is, he'd be the person to ask. Well him and alpine! :D

Uhm, I notice the alpines seem to sound better after a few hours play. Actually I've notice that with a few different subs.

What kind of car do you have? Whats the box tuned to? prefab?

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:59 am
by Bwcad1
IMO there really isnt a specific process to break in a sub. All the break in does is loosen up the spiders. The first few hours of the sub playing will break it in. I never do anything specific.