Page 1 of 2

SQ Components

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:18 pm
by The Bode
Time to upgrade! Right now i have Infinity Reference coaxials, and they were good for first speakers, but the longer i owned them, more i realized that they aren't that great. I have 6.5s up front and 6x9s in the back. I'm not planning on buying new 6x9s cause i haven't read one post that is for buying them, or even having them for that matter. I also have a SDC2.5 12" sub and an AQ1200D amp.

i have around $200 to spend and have list of component sets that i think look good......but I've only heard the Focal set, and i was very impressed! Definitely feel free to add speakers to the list. I want SQ comps, don't really care if they get loud.....as long as they sound good!

JL Audio VR-series
http://www.woofersetc.com/p1186/VR650CS ... ponent.htm

Focal Access
http://www.woofersetc.com/p3372/165A1-- ... eakers.htm

CDT EuroFit
http://www.woofersetc.com/p1099/EF61--C ... eakers.htm

AQG-6.5
http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQG-6_5_comp.htm

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:34 pm
by JeremyC
For the price the JL VR set is one of the hardest to beat.

As for focal, I would pass on their lower end sets unless you really like the way they sound. The mid bass is nice, lots of punch. But the tweets can be pretty harsh. You can tame them down but it does take some tweaking.

Don't know much about the other 2. But like I said, for the price those JLs will be hard to beat.

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:46 am
by OnYrMrk
As a focal user, I would agree with Jeremy here.

We both used Focal in the past, and now he is using Morel and I am using Dynaudio. These sets are far easier to tune without having the harshness of the Focal Tweeter.

I have heard some CDT components, and they sounded amazing. I would go that route. their tweeter is a soft dome and very good.

Audioque hasn't been proven yet in the SQ realm.

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:53 am
by Bwcad1
Take a look at the quart Premium's as well great sound tweeters can be a little harsh though.

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:24 am
by falkenbd
you need a kit with passive crossovers?

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:31 am
by smoker
also check out planet audio bb650 pro and cerwin vega vmax65's

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:12 am
by The Bode
falkenbd wrote:you need a kit with passive crossovers?
I'd say yes cause I've never messed with crossovers and haven't ever had a pair of comps before.
Yeah and i was wondering about the AQs....

Now the problem i have, along with many people, is that I have no way to listen to any of these except the Focals.....I listen to mostly latin, jazz, bands like The Postal Service.

I'm a drummer, so i love hearing being able to hear the Hi hats, bass, especially toms (they get drowned out easily...)

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:48 am
by falkenbd
I put a set of CDT Comps in a buddy's car.

Was able to get a set for $99 - very good sound, not midbass monsters, but good

I've heard lots of people rave about the Pheonix Gold RSD set - and those are cheap as well...

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:51 am
by falkenbd
The Bode wrote:I'd say yes cause I've never messed with crossovers and haven't ever had a pair of comps before.
Yeah and i was wondering about the AQs....

Now the problem i have, along with many people, is that I have no way to listen to any of these except the Focals.....I listen to mostly latin, jazz, bands like The Postal Service.

I'm a drummer, so i love hearing being able to hear the Hi hats, bass, especially toms (they get drowned out easily...)
I'd say make sure you can see the tweeters so they don't get blocked. (or at least see the grill that covers them if they are in the dash or something)

Look around for shops near you or in cities you sometimes go to - listen to a few different sets if you can.

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:21 am
by The Bode
Ok I'll do that. there is one good shop in Albuquerque.....but i'm going to Indiana this summer and I go florida a lot, so maybe I'll try to find some shops there to go to

Anyone know of any near Evansville IN or Melbourne FL?