Page 1 of 2

Got my pioneer DEH-P980BT fixed. The laser unit was bad but....

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:43 am
by Mithrandir
I installed it and it still skips fairly easy when you hit decent bumps.

Im not talking about uber retarded bumps but enough that they jar the car a bit.

I called the guy and he said the rubber dampeners inside units dont wear out that soon or break.

I was thinking of putting soft foam underneath the radio to kinda cushion it.

The mounting kit I have for my 2005 sunfire is stupid as hell. It has the plastic storage thing underneath and the radio hovers like 1/8 of an inch above it so i think when I hit a bump its causing the headunit to hit off of that plastic causing a skip.

I was thinking of putting foam weather stripping (the soft stuff) inbetween the deck and the plastic to see if that would help.

It doesnt skip when going down a normal smooth road at all but as soon as you hit a small pothole or a bump, it skips then goes right back to playing.

Its annoying as hell.

I wish they sold a different style mounting kit for my car.


If anyone has any ideas on how I could fix this lemme know

My old 8600mp had a backstrap with the kit and this one doesnt and I have no idea how I could even make that work as there is no back to the mounting kit, it slides through and rests on that stupid plastic piece

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:33 am
by Bwcad1
Padding will help and make sure you have it in the kit 100% correctly. DO you have your din cage secured to the radio and to the kit?

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:42 am
by Mithrandir
Bwcad1 wrote:Padding will help and make sure you have it in the kit 100% correctly. DO you have your din cage secured to the radio and to the kit?
The din sleeve right?

No it wouldnt fit if I remember correctly. All the kit is is an opening for the face of the headunit. 1 bolt on each side to hold it in place and the stupid plastic compartment on the bottom. Ill get pics of it when i take it out again in a few days

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:40 pm
by Bwcad1
that sleeve should fit ive never had a cage that didn't fit.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:36 pm
by Tim
Bwcad1 wrote:that sleeve should fit ive never had a cage that didn't fit.

I have, granted it was only one time. Some install kits are junk, I absolutely hate the ones with the pocket underneath. have you tried best kits from AI?? I have had really good luck with those kits. Are their no ISO mounts for your car?? The foam id say would work. Good luck

Tim

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:34 pm
by Bwcad1
Are you talking about the dash kit or the din cage Tim? every radio comes with a din cage it supports the radio so its not just held in place by the face. I use metra kits and thats all i use. I also use the pocket kits with very little issue. I have one in my buick and have had 0 skipping issues. Sounds like more of an install issue.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:18 pm
by Tim
naw bill I actually had a cage not fit in the dash kit. Mustve just been a fluke cause the dash kit was just a hair too large for the cage. The skipping does sound like an install issue. I use the parts to bolt into the piece behind the cd player.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:13 am
by Bwcad1
did it have shipping bolsters in it? ive seen people break them off and then not file off the burr. But that is an iso opening standard size unless the radio specifically says another mounting other than DIN it will fit.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:48 am
by Tim
its been awhile back so I really cant remember. I did think of this though, a dude told me one time he wrapped part of an innertube around his cd player to keep it from skipping. LOL I guess if it works it works.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:38 pm
by Mithrandir
The sleeve 100% does not fit.
It is a metra with the pocket underneath.
I used rubberized foam weatherstripping and its just as bad.
**** i am out 350 bucks now. Im selling it on ebay and finding a new head unit. Im sick of this ****ing shit.
Its not every ****ing bump either but its often enough that it totally ruins the ****ing point of having an after market head unit.
Its solid inside the dash. The unit doesnt move around. I even had it out and if u give it a decent tap on the headunit it will skip.
I dont know if that means bad dampeners or what. I really hate to spend like 15-50 more bucks and have the dampeners replaced if its not gonna help.
BTW i plan on finding dudes address on ebay and paying him a visit in florida this summer. If i cant work this out.