Page 1 of 2
Anything I can do, i have 6.5s that wont fit because the basket is way to big
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:28 am
by Mithrandir
I cant return em because its been too long. I have em for sale on here and craigs list.
My friend said he may be able to fiberglass me somthing up but I dunno.
Does anyone on here have any Not expensive ideas. I cant spend more than 100 bucks on the install for these.
That are planet audio 6.5s which were recommended on here (not that persons fault i know)
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 pm
by loudwagon15s
in what way is the basket too big?
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:28 pm
by Mithrandir
The basket is too big, and too deep by about 2 inches.
My door panels have the recess close to a round plastic part of it.
My friend is supposed to help me fiberglass somthing so it meets the door panel. Ill take pics of it tomorrow.
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:12 pm
by Mithrandir
Hey sorry I didnt get pics, ive been sick.
Ill go grab some today, i need to figure out hot to make em work, its ok if they arent beautiful as long as they dont look horrible.
Im thinking maybe just make enough spacer rings so they stick out and so the basket wont hit.
Ive never fiber glassed anything so I dunno If i can do that. I have a 60 dollar homedepot gift card so I can spend up to 60 bucks on materials.
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:56 pm
by Mithrandir
Here they are.
What i was thinking was to some how either just remove the thing thats holding the tweeter and cut a hole and stack MDF rings around the speaker until its out far enough that it doesnt hit the window and then make somthing for the tweeter and paint them both black then just use really long screws or bolts to hold em to the steel door panel.
Or some how fiberglass a similar pod like the one which is holding the tweeter so it would bolt up like that one does except make it big enough that it will hold the woofer and tweeter and then paint it black.
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:43 pm
by Mithrandir
Ok ive decided what I wanna do.
I wanna make a pod the size of that whole carpeted area so it looks good.
Should I make the base out of plywood or do I have to mask of the panel and make it out of fiberglass?
I wanna take the easiest route.
Unless you guys know of a way to make it look ok and only make a small pod.
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:48 pm
by JeremyC
If the carpeted area has any curve to it, you will want to tape it off and make the back out of glass.
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:00 am
by Mithrandir
The only curve is what you see there.
Curve as in it curves with the lines of the door, the surface itself is flat.
I guess that means wood is ok, ill just have to follow the curves with a template.
What kind of wood do you recommend?
Id guess plywood for the base and MDF for the ring?
Also do you think it would look ok making a fiberglassed pod that covers the whole carpeted area? Or should I just try to make a kick pod that only covers part of it.
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:18 am
by JeremyC
Plywood will be fine for the back, and it is lighter than mdf. Just make sure you build in your method for mounting, so it doesn't come loose closing the door.
As for the front. I would do a mdf ring, and then wrap the whole thing with fleese, and glass it from there.
Just make sure you round over the front edges of your mounting piece (the wood in the back). That way the fleece can flow smoothly, and you don't end up with a nasty raised edge.
I just got an idea, that will make this a little easier. Make a couple trim rings, and bolt the speaker to the door as normal. Then remove the factory grill cover, so the speaker has room to fit thru the door panel. Now all you have to do is make a grill cover to go over the speaker.
I would still do it so that it fills up the entire carpeted area. But now your talking about less weight and size. Not to mention your speaker is better mounted.
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:05 pm
by Mithrandir
JeremyC wrote:Plywood will be fine for the back, and it is lighter than mdf. Just make sure you build in your method for mounting, so it doesn't come loose closing the door.
As for the front. I would do a mdf ring, and then wrap the whole thing with fleese, and glass it from there.
Just make sure you round over the front edges of your mounting piece (the wood in the back). That way the fleece can flow smoothly, and you don't end up with a nasty raised edge.
I just got an idea, that will make this a little easier. Make a couple trim rings, and bolt the speaker to the door as normal. Then remove the factory grill cover, so the speaker has room to fit thru the door panel. Now all you have to do is make a grill cover to go over the speaker.
I would still do it so that it fills up the entire carpeted area. But now your talking about less weight and size. Not to mention your speaker is better mounted.
It wont fit right where the factory grill thing is. The speaker is too big and hits off of the rounded part of the door panel. I guess it would be ok if I put enough trim rings there.
Are you saying do that instead of glassing it or do that to check the fit?
Also if I make it the size of the carpeted area. Should I make a platform stretching the whole length so I can get a nice rounded shape for the fleece to rest on or will I just be able to form the fleece without any wooden supports except for the the MFD ring ect..