Page 1 of 1

laptop help

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:18 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
I bought an old IBM Thinkpad A31 to use at the pond (for my RC Boats).

The battery was junk so I bought another one. Its fully charged. However the laptop will not power up. If I plug in the AC it starts right up. I can unplug the AC and the laptop will run. It tells me the battery is good and will run for 3 1/2 hours.

I just cant figure out why it wont power on unless plugged in. Im at whits end here.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:51 pm
by William from NOLA
That is weird. Check the specs on the battery and see if it is the same as the one it replaced. I'm assuming it can't supply that initial "cranking amps" to get it going. I would try running it all the way down and allowing it to recharge. If that doesn't do it, I would return the battery for another.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:51 am
by Ryan from Ohio
I will give that a try also.

On another board the one guy thinks something in the charging circuit is messed up- possibly corroded from a spilled drink. This weekend Im gonna open her up and see if I can spot any corrosion. Also going to clean it out or dust.