Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

LED Bulbs

A Place to Discuss Modifications done to your cars.

Moderators: William from NOLA, GlassWolf

MobileAudio219
Master of My Domain

LED Bulbs

Post by MobileAudio219 »

I want to replace my dash lights with some LEDS. My question is what's the difference between the cheap ebay LEDS and the more expensive ones say from superbrightleds.com?
1995 Ford Explorer Sport, 4.0, Auto, 2dr, 2wd!
JVC KD-S100, PPI 356c's ,Hifonics ZXI 6410, 10" AB DX
Like project build threads? Have one of your own? Post it here!
www.projectcarforum.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Chris from Washington

Post by Chris from Washington »

MobileAudio219 wrote:I want to replace my dash lights with some LEDS. My question is what's the difference between the cheap ebay LEDS and the more expensive ones say from superbrightleds.com?
How did I miss this thread?

So the ones on Ebay usually don't last very long. If they are the plug/play types, they normally try and get the max brightness out of them, so they use too small of a current limiting resistor, so they heat up and die.

Now the superbright ones, I think are better than they used to be. When they first started selling LEDs, I bought some and they burned out within a few months. But I've recently bought some for the Camaro, and they've been going strong for about 6 months. So I think they've improved their quality control.

For the dash ones, make sure you get some that have the widest viewing angle possible. Otherwise you'll get bright/dead spots.

Another option you can do, is use LED strips instead. That's what I did on the Camaro, I opened up the cluster and put the strips as needed and it gave me the max brightness with no dead spots. I have a pic in the garage of the final outcome. It takes more work, but I was happy with the results.
MobileAudio219
Master of My Domain

Post by MobileAudio219 »

I can't stand dim dash lights. I'm going to go ahead and do the rangers cluster/heater controls, and of course the dome light...
www.projectcarforum.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Chris from Washington

Post by Chris from Washington »

Yep same here:
Here are the gauges in the Camaro after the LEDs were installed:

Before I put them in, it barely lit up at all.
MobileAudio219
Master of My Domain

Post by MobileAudio219 »

Yep, I could deal with that.
www.projectcarforum.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JeremyC
Master of My Domain

Post by JeremyC »

MobileAudio219 wrote:I can't stand dim dash lights. I'm going to go ahead and do the rangers cluster/heater controls, and of course the dome light...
I'm the opposite.

During the day as long as I can see it I'm happy. At night I want them damn near off. It actually frustrates me that I can't dim my nav screen more than I can.

My girl is more like you guys. She has her dash lights at full bright no matter whats going on outside.

Then again, my parents live in the country. I lived in the middle of BFE in Germany, and I do a lot of night time driving. So I don't want bright lights inside the car keeping me from seeing more outside of the car.