Advice on HU please.

Car stereo head units, EQ, and DSP questions.
diceman1000

Advice on HU please.

Post by diceman1000 »

So, I'm looking at the most cost effective way to put a double din in my daughter's 2011 Mariner. I want something of decent quality that does Carplay and Android Auto or will mirror eother OS. I keep seeing all of these dirt cheap Android units. Are they worth the risk, or am I better off to stick with the familiar and reliable name brands?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
expect the worst,hope for the best,and take it as it comes...live life to the fullest,alway cherish your family and friends,especialy your wife and kids

HU:ECLIPSE CD8051
FS:CDT CL61A's
F.AMP:MONITOR 1 MK2.70
RS:N/A
SUBS:TWO eD 13Kv2's in 1.25 cubes ea.,sealed
SUB AMP:CROSSFIRE BMF600D@1 OHM
WIRING:SCOCHE EFX,STREETWIREZ
CAP:STINGER 1 FARAD
BATT.:OPTIMA YELLOW TOP :sub: :sub:
Chris from Washington

Re: Advice on HU please.

Post by Chris from Washington »

diceman1000 wrote:So, I'm looking at the most cost effective way to put a double din in my daughter's 2011 Mariner. I want something of decent quality that does Carplay and Android Auto or will mirror eother OS. I keep seeing all of these dirt cheap Android units. Are they worth the risk, or am I better off to stick with the familiar and reliable name brands?

The issue I have with those Chinese Android units is, what version of Android are they using? I'm guessing something old, not supported by google so the PlayStore won't be included so you'll have to find another way to install apps. The unit will never be updated, so even if are able to get apps installed. Over a couple years, you'll start to lose support with apps because of the OS age.

One last thing about the Chinese units, I also wonder about security. What else was installed on it, that you don't know about that is spying on you.

I would stick with a major brand if you just want something that is going to work.
Pioneer I believe has support for both carplay and android auto.

Kenwood boasts a lot of features, but I also don't trust their long term support for things. I had a Kenwood and I can't any of the built in apps to work with my newer Galaxy phone. Checked and no firmware updates basically after the deck was released. I think that is why it doesn't work.
diceman1000

Re: Advice on HU please.

Post by diceman1000 »

Thanks for the reply Chris. I ended up going with a KW DMX7705S.

expect the worst,hope for the best,and take it as it comes...live life to the fullest,alway cherish your family and friends,especialy your wife and kids

HU:ECLIPSE CD8051
FS:CDT CL61A's
F.AMP:MONITOR 1 MK2.70
RS:N/A
SUBS:TWO eD 13Kv2's in 1.25 cubes ea.,sealed
SUB AMP:CROSSFIRE BMF600D@1 OHM
WIRING:SCOCHE EFX,STREETWIREZ
CAP:STINGER 1 FARAD
BATT.:OPTIMA YELLOW TOP :sub: :sub: