Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

New install problems

All questions related to amplifier installation and troubleshooting.
Protege5

New install problems

Post by Protege5 »

I’ve done a lot of my own installs nothing fancy but I know enough to get buy. I have 2 subs 12” in a band pass box run by a 2/1 580 watt amp. I’ve never had a box before with 2 subs and only 1 speaker input in the back. The stero sounds fine but out of nowhere the subs just stop and the green light on the amp with either remain green. Sometimes turns red and sometimes goes off completely . Sometimes it’s days with no issues sometimes it’s 4 times a day. There some noise in the subs as well ( hum pop). The subs are 4 ohms and since I only have positive and one negative speaker posts in tbe back of the box I have the amp bridged which i think is wrong. Here are some pics. Finally my ground may be an issues it’s grojnded to a metal plate no paint which is mounted to the body which has paint . Any tips?

Here are some pics

https://imgur.com/a/kDMdhfJ

So basically what I’m saying is shouldn’t I just run a positive and a negative speaker wire from each speaker and put it on each channel of the amp? Unless this box is already internally wired to run bridged?

Based on below it seems like I have it wired correctly so maybe it’s a bad ground ?

From the subwoofer box

A single pair of spring terminals on the back of the enclosure supplies the signal to both drivers. The woofers are wired to present a 4Ω load. The terminal will accept pin connectors, single banana plugs, or bare wire up to 12 gauge.

From the amp box:

RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 100 watts x 2 chan.
2 ohms: 145 watts x 2 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 290 watts x 1 chan.
Max power output: 580 watts x 1 chan.
MOSFET power supply
rodacollier

New install problems

Post by rodacollier »

You sure the subs are 4 ohm a piece or the box is 4 ohm with 2 8 ohm speakers? Two 4 ohm subs wired together creates a 2 ohm load and your amp should say what ohm ratings it will take. If the box is labeled 4 ohm you should pull the subs and look at their specs to ensure the will provide 4 ohm when wired in parallel. Mono amps will go down to 2 ohm and sometimes 1 ohm but not all 2 channel amps have a bridged mode to support 2 ohm, which would throw an amp into protection mode. My guess would be the amp is not rated to drive those subs.

That ground wire appears to be contacting paint and not bare metal. I would scrape or brush it down to bare metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Protege5

Re: New install problems

Post by Protege5 »

I m only going by what the spec says on the box which is it’s wired to preset a 4 ohm load? The amp says it’s 4 ohm when bridged? Would it just be easier to open the box and just run two speaker wires 1 from each sub and just go 2 channel? That way I’m sure it’s conrect?
rodacollier wrote:You sure the subs are 4 ohm a piece or the box is 4 ohm with 2 8 ohm speakers? Two 4 ohm subs wired together creates a 2 ohm load and your amp should say what ohm ratings it will take. If the box is labeled 4 ohm you should pull the subs and look at their specs to ensure the will provide 4 ohm when wired in parallel. Mono amps will go down to 2 ohm and sometimes 1 ohm but not all 2 channel amps have a bridged mode to support 2 ohm, which would throw an amp into protection mode. My guess would be the amp is not rated to drive those subs.

That ground wire appears to be contacting paint and not bare metal. I would scrape or brush it down to bare metal.

Protege5

Post by Protege5 »

rodacollier wrote:You sure the subs are 4 ohm a piece or the box is 4 ohm with 2 8 ohm speakers? Two 4 ohm subs wired together creates a 2 ohm load and your amp should say what ohm ratings it will take. If the box is labeled 4 ohm you should pull the subs and look at their specs to ensure the will provide 4 ohm when wired in parallel. Mono amps will go down to 2 ohm and sometimes 1 ohm but not all 2 channel amps have a bridged mode to support 2 ohm, which would throw an amp into protection mode. My guess would be the amp is not rated to drive those subs.

Based on the specs it says the box is wired as to preset a 4 ohm load? Also the amp says it’s 4 ohm when bridged? I’ve never had issues like this before plus I think the amp and box came as package deal like it was made for it
Chris from Washington

Post by Chris from Washington »

I think the first we need to verify, are the ohm rating of each sub.
Need to see if each sub is 4ohms, or if the entire box is 4ohm.

Do you have a multi meter? Another thing you can do is put that on the wires to see what you have.

I agree about the ground wire, i would scrap off some paint to get a better connection.
Chris from Washington

Protege5 wrote:Based on the specs it says the box is wired as to preset a 4 ohm load? Also the amp says it’s 4 ohm when bridged? I’ve never had issues like this before plus I think the amp and box came as package deal like it was made for it
Are these new subs?
Another possibility is you have a sub that is shorting out in the coil, causing the amp to go into protect mode.
Protege5

Post by Protege5 »

How would I know if the sub is good? The ohm reading at the box was like 4.2 . Seems in line? Do I need to check each one individually? No they are used but sound clean
Chris from Washington

Protege5 wrote:How would I know if the sub is good? The ohm reading at the box was like 4.2 . Seems in line? Do I need to check each one individually? No they are used but sound clean
OK, if you measured it with a meter and it's coming out to 4 ohm, then they are most likely fine.
So I would next check your other wiring. I would clean up that ground, scrap some paint off get a good contact.

Make sure no other wires are shorting out anywhere. I guess you could take the subs out of the box, and just verify all the connections are tight there.

Also what brand amp are you using?
Chris from Washington

Also, where do you have the gain set at?
If you have it maxed out, turn it down some.
Chris from Washington

Saw this old thread in a search, just curious did you ever get it fixed?
If so, what was the issue?