Help with clipping in speakers and head unit gain

Car stereo head units, EQ, and DSP questions.
Joeslacker

Help with clipping in speakers and head unit gain

Post by Joeslacker »

Ok so I'm getting really pitchy highs when I turn my volume up on my Kenwood KFC-X303 cd receiver. I had a friend tell me to lower the right end of the line graph and I did so. Then he told me to lower the gain. I'm pretty new to car audio so I found two gains one in the crossover and one in DTE settings on the head unit.

I turned down the tweeter front right, front left, rear right, rear left, in the DTE settings to -3db from zero.

Then I turned down the tweeter gain left and gain right to -3db from zero as well. I also turned the front HPF and Rear HPF gain to -3db from zero as well.

This didn't seem to help the clipping. I'm using 14 awg wire at a length of about 20 feet each to each speaker. Don't know exactly what ohm setup it is but i would imagine if it's 2 ohm then maybe the speaker can't handle that power from the amp in my head unit maybe? (22 watts rms).[/color]Also my speakers are 4 ohm impendance 60 watt rms power handling and 39-32000 frequency response.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
OnYrMrk

Re: Help with clipping in speakers and head unit gain

Post by OnYrMrk »

Not sure of the "gain" setting on your headunit or amplifier. Does your headunit have a "loudness" setting. If so, make sure it is off. What is your current setup?
IASCA Certified SQ Judge
USACi Certified SQ Judge
MECA Certified SQ Judge
2010 USACi Spring Break Jam Modified SQ Champion
Moderator for https://www.facebook.com/groups/524841581331183/
CVD Audio Sales and Acquisitions Team
http://www.cvdaudio.com
Joeslacker

Post by Joeslacker »

OnYrMrk wrote:Not sure of the "gain" setting on your headunit or amplifier. Does your headunit have a "loudness" setting. If so, make sure it is off. What is your current setup?

Sorry that took so long to answer but I'll go ahead and do my best to help you help me...

So it becomes almost piercing noise with the high notes of songs I suppose? That's about the best way I can discribe it it really even gets uncomfortable with my ears. The volume is appropriate for what I like but this is where that piercing noise comes into play at about 20/35 volume settings on my Kenwood Excelon KDC-x303. I'm running a 'PSV 300 Fully REgulated Low Ripple 30 Amp Switching DC Power Supply (to be specific .. It's basically a ac to dc converter to use all this stuff In my room which is where it's all at), some kenwood excelon KFC-xw100 10 inch subs (2) with the deck stated from above with a kenwood excelon monoblock sub amp all rated at 300 watts rms. With some 10-15 year old MB Quart QM 1269 KX speakers rated at 4 ohms impedance 39-32khz frequency response with a 60 watt rms and 130 watt peak power handling. The head unit i believe is rated at 4 ohm for the built in amp for 22 watts of rms power with peaks of I believe 50.

I was thinking perhaps the power being supplied through the built in head unit amp might actually be lower than that of the minimum power required for the speakers. Thus possibly damaging the head unit and the speakers. Not sure though can't find the specs online of these speakers other than the info I gave which was on the back for the min power recommendation as these speakers aren't even made anymore with a very rare brand to even see around.

Also Another thing to consider I was using youtube and I tried actually going to the people who made the song's actual page instead of using the things uploaded by random youtubers. This seems to eliminate about 50% of the piercing noise at some times during the song. Although it still happens. I've had recommendations to use a CD by two different people as youtube is a terrible source for the most part at least what I've heard. So I will go ahead and try that first. As for the pitchyness I described it seems to have gotten worse over time.

If you have any other ideas provided the setup along side the other things I had stated here feel free to give some input. Again thanks for the reply, bro.
OnYrMrk

Post by OnYrMrk »

Joeslacker wrote:Sorry that took so long to answer but I'll go ahead and do my best to help you help me...

So it becomes almost piercing noise with the high notes of songs I suppose? That's about the best way I can discribe it it really even gets uncomfortable with my ears. The volume is appropriate for what I like but this is where that piercing noise comes into play at about 20/35 volume settings on my Kenwood Excelon KDC-x303. I'm running a 'PSV 300 Fully REgulated Low Ripple 30 Amp Switching DC Power Supply (to be specific .. It's basically a ac to dc converter to use all this stuff In my room which is where it's all at), some kenwood excelon KFC-xw100 10 inch subs (2) with the deck stated from above with a kenwood excelon monoblock sub amp all rated at 300 watts rms. With some 10-15 year old MB Quart QM 1269 KX speakers rated at 4 ohms impedance 39-32khz frequency response with a 60 watt rms and 130 watt peak power handling. The head unit i believe is rated at 4 ohm for the built in amp for 22 watts of rms power with peaks of I believe 50.

I was thinking perhaps the power being supplied through the built in head unit amp might actually be lower than that of the minimum power required for the speakers. Thus possibly damaging the head unit and the speakers. Not sure though can't find the specs online of these speakers other than the info I gave which was on the back for the min power recommendation as these speakers aren't even made anymore with a very rare brand to even see around.

Also Another thing to consider I was using youtube and I tried actually going to the people who made the song's actual page instead of using the things uploaded by random youtubers. This seems to eliminate about 50% of the piercing noise at some times during the song. Although it still happens. I've had recommendations to use a CD by two different people as youtube is a terrible source for the most part at least what I've heard. So I will go ahead and try that first. As for the pitchyness I described it seems to have gotten worse over time.

If you have any other ideas provided the setup along side the other things I had stated here feel free to give some input. Again thanks for the reply, bro.
Sorry to reply adding the quote, but it makes it easier for me to help diagnose the issues. You stated you are running the MB Quart separates through your head unit. This is your problem. Your head unit may say something like 25x4, but in all actuality, that is when lightning strikes. Most likely you are getting 3-5 watts per channel of dirty signal and power. With the prices of amps these days, you can easily get into a decent little kenwood 2 channel amplifier to power your components. I am guessing that you are running the components via the MB Quart passive crossover. If this is true, then you will be just fine running a 2 channel amplifier or even a 4 channel amp. The 4 channel gives you some extra tuning capabilities if you want. Best thing about this is that you can use true power. Kenwood makes a very good amplifier. They have been around a ton of years in the car audio market and they have honed their skills in building quality product. So Look into getting a small kenwood amplifier.

Here is a little 2 channel Kenwood that will give you clean power for your MB Quart speakers through the passive crossover - https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12 ... -5207.html

Sonic Electronix is a good site to buy very good product out there.

Good luck and hit us up if you have anymore questions.

Joe
IASCA Certified SQ Judge
USACi Certified SQ Judge
MECA Certified SQ Judge
Joeslacker

Post by Joeslacker »

OnYrMrk wrote:Sorry to reply adding the quote, but it makes it easier for me to help diagnose the issues. You stated you are running the MB Quart separates through your head unit. This is your problem. Your head unit may say something like 25x4, but in all actuality, that is when lightning strikes. Most likely you are getting 3-5 watts per channel of dirty signal and power. With the prices of amps these days, you can easily get into a decent little kenwood 2 channel amplifier to power your components. I am guessing that you are running the components via the MB Quart passive crossover. If this is true, then you will be just fine running a 2 channel amplifier or even a 4 channel amp. The 4 channel gives you some extra tuning capabilities if you want. Best thing about this is that you can use true power. Kenwood makes a very good amplifier. They have been around a ton of years in the car audio market and they have honed their skills in building quality product. So Look into getting a small kenwood amplifier.

Here is a little 2 channel Kenwood that will give you clean power for your MB Quart speakers through the passive crossover - https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12 ... -5207.html

Sonic Electronix is a good site to buy very good product out there.

Good luck and hit us up if you have anymore questions.

Joe
But the 22 watts I speak of is of RMS power bro not the peak power the peak power is 50 but you really still think provided this info that it's only supplying 3-5 watts per channel? IF this is true that this headunit has been supplying that low that might be below the minimum for those speakers and could've possibly damaged the speakers AND the head unit but I think it might be unlikely. And by running the components via the mb quart passive crossover if I had to guess yes it does have a passive crossover but I know little about them. I'm planning on getting the pioneer gm-D8604 power amplifier. It's at 100 watts per channel x 4 channels at 4 ohms which is what I'd be using for the new speakers I'm thinking on getting which are the Polk Audio MM692 - MM1 Series 6x9" Coaxial Speakers. I think it's a good matchup provided it has the 2/3rd rule for power from amp to power handling from the speakers at 100/150 watts. With I believe headroom for the dynamic power. I thought perhaps what you were saying before you mentioned it - - that it could be just the fact that there's just not enough watts to supply to that speaker to really make it sing at the higher volumes.

But then again I've fixed about 80% of the screetchy pitchy piercing noise if you will, that's been bothering me by doing a factory reset on my head unit on the Kenwood Excelon KDC-x303. As far as everything else the quality more specificly it has went down quite a bit and I'm using the same source (spotify premium) which when I listened to that at first before resetting my head unit it was fan fing tastic (pardon my french). Now I seemed to have lost some quality but another question maybe you can help with or perhaps this is better for a new thread... Any recommendations on tweeking the settings on it to get that quality back? I know there are things such as size of your vehicle, size of the speakers and other little tweeks.

Lmk what you think man and thanks once again for spending the time to read this. - joe
OnYrMrk

Post by OnYrMrk »

Joeslacker wrote:But the 22 watts I speak of is of RMS power bro not the peak power the peak power is 50 but you really still think provided this info that it's only supplying 3-5 watts per channel? IF this is true that this headunit has been supplying that low that might be below the minimum for those speakers and could've possibly damaged the speakers AND the head unit but I think it might be unlikely. And by running the components via the mb quart passive crossover if I had to guess yes it does have a passive crossover but I know little about them. I'm planning on getting the pioneer gm-D8604 power amplifier. It's at 100 watts per channel x 4 channels at 4 ohms which is what I'd be using for the new speakers I'm thinking on getting which are the Polk Audio MM692 - MM1 Series 6x9" Coaxial Speakers. I think it's a good matchup provided it has the 2/3rd rule for power from amp to power handling from the speakers at 100/150 watts. With I believe headroom for the dynamic power. I thought perhaps what you were saying before you mentioned it - - that it could be just the fact that there's just not enough watts to supply to that speaker to really make it sing at the higher volumes.

But then again I've fixed about 80% of the screetchy pitchy piercing noise if you will, that's been bothering me by doing a factory reset on my head unit on the Kenwood Excelon KDC-x303. As far as everything else the quality more specificly it has went down quite a bit and I'm using the same source (spotify premium) which when I listened to that at first before resetting my head unit it was fan fing tastic (pardon my french). Now I seemed to have lost some quality but another question maybe you can help with or perhaps this is better for a new thread... Any recommendations on tweeking the settings on it to get that quality back? I know there are things such as size of your vehicle, size of the speakers and other little tweeks.

Lmk what you think man and thanks once again for spending the time to read this. - joe
Joe (btw, great name),

Headunit power is more geared for coax speakers and higher efficiency speakers. MB Quart speakers, particularly the components, lack the smooth frequency response of other speakers. I put them in the same league of the old Focal KX line with the TN45 tweeters. Those tweeters were some of the most difficult tweets to tune. They were shrill! The MB Quart tweeters, if memory serves me well, were a titanium dome tweeter that had the same tuning challenges as the TN45 tweeters. That might be part of your problem. One thing I have learned recently is to play with phasing in order to tame hotter speaker components. Play with changing the phase on the crossovers (switching the speakers leads backwards on the crossover) and try one speaker at a time. Switch + and - around per speaker, listen, then put it back correctly and try the next speaker. Do this for all your speakers in the front stage. Your ears will tell you what you need to know.

As for the Pioneer amplifier, 100w x4 will do you just fine. and if you wanted to take the passives out of the mix, you can use the crossovers on the amplifier and fiddle with them to try and get the best sound. Keep the head unit at flat, (no gain on low, mid, or high) and go solely on the amplifier. Remember that on the amp, the gain dial is not a volume knob. If you plan on running those 6x9s for rear fill, use your head unit power on them. You don't want them overpowering your front stage.

Try these things and see how it goes.

Joe
IASCA Certified SQ Judge
USACi Certified SQ Judge
MECA Certified SQ Judge
Joeslacker

Post by Joeslacker »

OnYrMrk wrote:Joe (btw, great name),

Headunit power is more geared for coax speakers and higher efficiency speakers. MB Quart speakers, particularly the components, lack the smooth frequency response of other speakers. I put them in the same league of the old Focal KX line with the TN45 tweeters. Those tweeters were some of the most difficult tweets to tune. They were shrill! The MB Quart tweeters, if memory serves me well, were a titanium dome tweeter that had the same tuning challenges as the TN45 tweeters. That might be part of your problem. One thing I have learned recently is to play with phasing in order to tame hotter speaker components. Play with changing the phase on the crossovers (switching the speakers leads backwards on the crossover) and try one speaker at a time. Switch + and - around per speaker, listen, then put it back correctly and try the next speaker. Do this for all your speakers in the front stage. Your ears will tell you what you need to know.

As for the Pioneer amplifier, 100w x4 will do you just fine. and if you wanted to take the passives out of the mix, you can use the crossovers on the amplifier and fiddle with them to try and get the best sound. Keep the head unit at flat, (no gain on low, mid, or high) and go solely on the amplifier. Remember that on the amp, the gain dial is not a volume knob. If you plan on running those 6x9s for rear fill, use your head unit power on them. You don't want them overpowering your front stage.

Try these things and see how it goes.

Joe
Just typed a whole paragraph of stuff then when I went to copy just in case something went wrong with it going through I accidently pasted what I preivously coppied and deleted everything but to summ things up from what I said. The thing I wanted to ask is these MB Quart not coax speakers and are they not 90+ db efficiency ? WIth that being said These polk speakers I linked you in the last post would work much better with this head unit? And also since they are delivering like 3-5 watts as you've stated before do you think it would be unsafe to use those polk speakers until I get that 100x4 amp? Also what would you recommend for tuning the new speakers (the polk ones I linked) also I think it's good to keep out the crossover and just using the amp to fine tune it seems like it would make things less complicated. Sorry if I sound like a noob but yeah I kinda am with this whole car stereo stuff I only been studying if you can even call it that for like 2 weeks now but I'm getting more and more of a grasp on it you provided some pretty good outside info that a lot of people woulnd't have so thanks for that - joe