Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Amplifier makes no difference in quality

All questions related to amplifier installation and troubleshooting.
Joeslacker

Amplifier makes no difference in quality

Post by Joeslacker »

[font=&quot]Hello guys. I had my dad hook up my new NVX VAD 10004 amplifier to my stereo and my 30 amp low ripple dc switching power supply and i kid you not the difference in quality is zero. It has literally no difference in the quality of the sound from deck power (22 watts x 4) from a kenwood kdc-x303 head unit with mm692 polk audio speakers. Yes it has no difference in quality from having just receiver power to 150 watt power handling speakers as you can imagine that's pretty flat.[/font]

[font=&quot]So... What gives?[/font]

[font=&quot]My dad concluded that it's the deck that's not producing a signal of some sort to the amp cause when he hooks the amp up without bypassing it on the channels for the speakers it lights up and gets warm as if it's working so I don't think it would be the amp although it could be. The one thing I did notice about the amp is it did make the music a little bit louder perhaps by about 3-4 notches out of 35 that the deck can go up to.[/font]

[font=&quot]Another thing that's odd is we hooked up everything on the rear channels and when we went to hit the fader for rear it went silent the more we went to the rear ... Then we hit front and it was the same as on zero (15-0-15). And now that he hooked it all back up the left speaker just isn't working anymore I can hear the white noise with it (which shouldn't be the case since the preamps are 5volts) but it produces no sound.[/font]

[font=&quot]What's the verdict guys? Cause I'm not really experienced with these things I think I'm going to get a new head unit the Pioneer DEH-80PRS and I'm just praying that this fixes this issue.[/font]

[font=&quot]Thanks for taking the time to read this guys - joe[/font]
Chris from Washington

Re: Amplifier makes no difference in quality

Post by Chris from Washington »

Hi,
So it sounds like either something isn't hooked up correctly, or maybe a possible deck issue.
Double check all your connections, and settings on the deck.

just the issues of the 1 speaker not working at all, and the rear channels not working something isn't right. Are there any settings on the deck, where you need to turn 'on' the rear RCA channels?

What brand speakers are you using?
Joeslacker

Post by Joeslacker »

Chris from Washington wrote:Hi,
So it sounds like either something isn't hooked up correctly, or maybe a possible deck issue.
Double check all your connections, and settings on the deck.

just the issues of the 1 speaker not working at all, and the rear channels not working something isn't right. Are there any settings on the deck, where you need to turn 'on' the rear RCA channels?

What brand speakers are you using?
I'm using polk audio mm1 mm692's. The deck was indeed bad as our new 80 prs pioneer head unit did fix the fader issue and the rear channels not working. BUT the quality is still relitively bad as compared to the deck power to my old 60 watt power handling speakers.

We are going to hook up just the power amplifier and the speakers to a new power supply thats not 30 amp but 45 or 50 this way we can rule out the amp being bad vs the draw from the power supply being too much or I guess in other words the powery supply not being enough to fully drive the amp as someone else has suggested.

Any thoughts?
Eddie9320

Post by Eddie9320 »

and make sure gain is set properly and try other line level.. bad RCA grounding perhaps