Page 1 of 2

switching out my subs

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:57 am
by Nate38
Hey guys just wanted to see some of your opinions on what new subs I should get. Im looking at getttin 2 tens in my grand prix, right now I have the new DVQ infinity sub and im looking to change. I don't plan on changing my amp, its a 600 rms xtant amplifier, so I was looking at getting 2 JL 10w3v2's in the JL spec. box. Any input would be appreciated. I want a balance of spl and sq, so I am considering the JL's. Also, has anyone heard about the JL w3v3? I heard they are working on a new model that should be out in the spring, but that it could be just a rumor.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:22 pm
by William from NOLA
RE SE, Image Dynamics IDMAX or IDQ, JL Audio W6 or W7, Treo (lower models), Eclipse (any in your price/power range), there are more, I just can't think of any more at the moment.

I've never heard anything about the v3 yet.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:03 pm
by lotas
yeah definetly look into the brands william listed, you are on the right track with those brands and your xtant amp. are you set on two 10"s? or are your options there still open? maybe give a 12" brahma 600watts vs. 2 10" jl w3v2's....just an idea.

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:32 am
by ridr4lif
I dont know if it was on this forum or not...but i found a video on http://www.realmofexcursion.com of a 12" resonant engineering SE in a ported box actually flexing the guys cab on his truck...pretty impressive. Maybe look into one of those

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:08 am
by William from NOLA
...adding to the list: Diamond, Alpine Type-R's, Oz Audio, Memphis, CDT, Focal...

reply

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:41 pm
by Nate38
Yeah Im pretty stuck on 2 10's because in my prix the clearance in the trunk isn't the best to have 12's. I have a twelve in their now and building the box was a very tight fit. I don't really feel like making my own angled box. As far as price range goes, Id say about 400 -500 for the 2 subs. Also remember that I have 600 watts to go around. I probably would like 2 subs, but that could change. I've heard the JL's and will look into some of those other brands.

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:18 pm
by Dustin from Huntsville
Go with a single 15w3v2. That'd be louder than the two 10's and the 15" has better low end extension.

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:43 pm
by 6three6mafia6
if i were you id go with a RE sx, OR you can got with some adire kodas, they are the same level as the w6v2(one of my favorite subs , and better, and half the price)or you can go with a single 12 brahma and it will stomp all over most pair of 10's.

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:43 am
by Nate38
Alright, ive got it down to either 1 12 brahma, 2 kodas, or 2 RE sx's. I could possibly go with 2 12s of the kodas or sx's. If I could go with the 12's, which of the 3 would you suggest for spl and sq?

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:57 pm
by 6three6mafia6
if i were you id go with some kodas, BECAUSE the kodas and SX'S are almost on the same level(step down from top of the line{before xxx,brahma}) BUT the kodas use XBL2 techonology and the sx's DONT, the brahma and xxx use XBL2 , that is why the got SO much excursion and sound so great, if the xxx and brahma didnt have the XBL2 they woundt be so famous, so the KODA is the only sub that has xbl2 at such a low price of around 200$, plus the kodas take 300 rms so you dont need to spend a lot of power on alternator, amp, etc, so 2 10's and youll stop on most pair of 12's, here it is

Image