Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

JVC decks

Car stereo head units, EQ, and DSP questions.
User avatar
puckstpr
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Memphis, Tn

JVC decks

Post by puckstpr »

I have been shopping for a new deck and want some input on JVC decks. Since I have 'no' exposure to JVC other then years ago when the few I saw were entry models and were available only at K-Mart.

I was set (excuse me, my wife is set) on spending no more than $250 and I wanted 24 bit DAC and possibly an HD tuner built in. I found these:
KD-HDR1
KD-G820

The DAC on the KD-G820 was 24-bit Resolution Burr-Brown 1-bit DAC. Never heard of it stated like that before. Is it 24 bit or 1 bit? No DAC was mentioned for the KD-HDR1.

My question is, what am I getting myself into with JVC? I've always owned either a Pioneer or Kenwood deck and never had a major problem with either, other than being over priced. Are these decks equipted with a removable facelplate or to they flip around for a stealth look?

JVC interested me with their price. A Bizrate search resulted in either one being at $200.00. Tough decision, $50-$80 dollars more with a Premier or Excelon that I am familar with or save a few bucks with JVC...

Any reasonable input appreciated. If you say they .... sucks, go ahead and delete your comments, I would like an intelligent response please.
Thank you in advance.
Justin from Detroit1
Junior Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Location: Detroit

Post by Justin from Detroit1 »

First off, welcome back!

I have owned all three brands you mention. Overall, I would honestly say I have been most satisfied with the JVC. Except for only having 2v preouts, the unit I have now has tons of features, and never a problem. They read MP3 CD's very fast.

The Pioneer's I have had always induced noise into the system, reguardless of their "level". Hell, the $2000 nav unit I had wasthe noisiest of all, you could hear the CD spinning and the laser moving through the speakers!

Only CD player I would take hands down over a JVC is an Eclispe. Otherwise I don't forsee you having any problems or complaints about the JVC.
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

JVC is good but Im going to have to steer you towards the Arsenal series.

Theres a few more options, more rcas (sometimes) and a better warranty. Oh ya the RCA voltage is 5 Volts also on most vs the standard 2 V of the cheaper decks. EXAD is good also ;)

Im a JVC fan and probably wouldnt buy another brand deck unless they start going downhill...
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
High Society
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2473
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:59 am
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Post by High Society »

Same here, for $250 maybe a bit more you might be able to pick up a JVC ar7000 :) Ryan can vouche for it's greatness. I saw it on sounddomain.com for $275 new a long time ago. EXAD feature btw, which is great. I'm really lookin to snag an AVX-1 tho...
♠ Mateo ♠

80 pounds of Titanium
Proud Member of Team Wolfpack Audio
NViejeP
Senior Member
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:34 pm
Location: San Francisco

Post by NViejeP »

I've got a JVC KD-G510. Its a pretty cheap head unit, but I like it. Had everythng I wanted, ie preamp outs, and most importantly the auxiliary input so I could plug in my ipod.
kevinberry1
Senior Member
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:21 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Post by kevinberry1 »

I'm not sure if you are interested in this unit, but it is in your price range and appears to have everything you are looking for.

http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/s ... php?t=4681
tx_vw_bug_man
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 10:28 am

Post by tx_vw_bug_man »

i have a jvc in my ride i ove it in the past i had pioneer sony alpine abut the jvc is the bombiso

model KD-AR860 i got it for $270

andrew
solacedagony
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
Contact:

Post by solacedagony »

I have a JVC KD-G700 in my truck currently. I think it cost me $220 at the time that I bought it (2-3 years ago).
I have a couple odd complaints about it, but nothing serious.
1.) For some reason, when you first start it up, it has the tendency to change button functions. It makes the mode power the power button, the CD button the MODE button, the 1 button the CD button and so on. After I hit a couple different buttons they revert to their correct button functions.
2.) The mechanical face makes a lot of noise, especially in cold weather.
3.) If I have the highs EQ level at +5 or +6, I have to move it to +4 and back again to get to it function correctly after turning the unit back on.
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

If you decide to sell that JVC Matt I want dibs on it back here where it belongs.

I so wish I would of never sold it!
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
User avatar
puckstpr
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Memphis, Tn

Thanks

Post by puckstpr »

I've decided to go ahead and give the Arsenal 870 a try. I hope I am making the right decision because my wife will most definately make me use it until it dies of old age.

Things sure have changed, I remember spending much more than $200 on one speaker, let alone the HU.

Thanks for the feedback and input...
Post Reply