Page 1 of 3

My offical Intro.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:19 am
by Ampresearch
Hey everyone.

Just came across this forum this morning and IMO it seems like just the place I want to be a part of. Other then a few posts I could find it seem that the childish bull is not tolerated. Don’t get me wrong I mean I understand that our hobby attracts a lot of the younger crowd but that’s no reason for things to get out of control like they do on the other boards I have gone to.

Here is some info on me if interested.

I have been installing and dealing with car audio and home theater rooms for around 20+ years now. I have always had a huge interest in audio.

My systems have consisted of everything from the smallest of a single ten to the largest of 6 15's in a minivan. I will not lie and say I know all there is to know because that is far from the truth. I dropped out of the car audio game about 8 years ago when I had kids. (Needed the back seats in my truck) I tried a few small systems but I like bass to much and never was happy so I gave up. Well now the kids are old enough and don’t need car seats and such. So what does that mean? It means I now have the back of my truck back. :sm29:

So here is what I did. My current set up is as follows

F150 super cab
240 amp HO alt
2x yellow top batteries
1/0 big three
1/0 on all power and ground runs
Kicker zx 1500.1 sub amp
Kicker zx 350.4 mids and highs amp
2 x Kicker 06 15" L7 subs
10 cube box ported at 33 Hz
4x Polk DB 6500 6 1/2 mids
4x Polk DB 6500 dome tweets

Well that’s the juice of the system. I am amazed at how much has changed since I left the hobby. I was just glad that the basic stayed the same so that I was able to do all of the work on my own trouble free.
I installed all of this about two weeks ago and have been testing it out since then. I have decided I am very happy with my numbers and over all sound. MY goal with the system is two things. first and most important is that is hit over 150db since that seems to be the “respected” number on the new term lab, and second and almost as important is that this is a daily driver so it must sound good while it does it. I put sound quality second because IMO once you hit the 150 mark clarity of the highs and mids kind of goes out the window. So now that I am happy with the box yesterday it came time to rip it all out and start the fiber glassing to make it all look nice and custom. (I hate big ugly plain box installs). I have the added bonus that my wife is an artist and a sculptor. She does all fiber glass work and I just give input on design. I believe that you need to have strong artistic ability to make an install really shine.

Anyways that enough about me. Just wanted to say hi. I will be starting a thread tonight with pictures of the tear down and install of everything from start to finish.

PS: I paid and signed up to be a member. 10.00 To not have to deal with a bunch of snot nose kids sounded like a killer deal. How long does it take to activate? I am looking forward to answering post with accurately researched answers as well as asking plenty of my own questions I’m sure.

PPS: you can expect most of my post to be very long. I feel when someone ask a question it deserves a proper answer filled with FACTS and researched information. I don’t post on subject I don’t know about. That’s the reason there is so much miss information out there. Besides that I love to hear myself talk lol

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:32 am
by Bwcad1
sounds like you will be a great addition to the forum, and im glad to have another spl guy here with me! were getting fewer and far between it seems everday. did that system meter over 150?

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:36 am
by OnYrMrk
Well you certainly got my attention. You will find all kinds here, from "snot-nosed" kids that respect the elders, to elders that sometimes act like "snot-nosed" kids. I myself have been part of the car audio scene since the Thunder on Wheels set back in 1986 and have dabbled in it ever since. I took a 10 yr hiatus after the OKC bombing that changed some of my plans in life and came back to SQ. Seems that when I was sponsored back in 1994-95 by McIntosh, SQ was king, since it has declined but now is climbing back up the ladder of popularity. I laughed when you said "once you hit the 150 mark clarity of the highs and mids kind of goes out the window". Man you hit that right on the head. I like that you take the time to do things right, and like you, I have a problem with being long winded.

You will find electronics engineers, store owners, nationally recognized spl competitors, enthusiasts, some of us SQ fanatics and overall a fun and knowledgable group. I look forward to picking your brain as I will be attempting a World Finals SQ install in the coming months. Take care and enjoy your stay.

Welcome to the Forum!

Joe

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:43 am
by two4fifteen
welcome aboard! its great to have another well knowledged guy with good experience to share.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:50 am
by CaptainPioneer
Haleluja!!! Another member who knows his stuff... I see a good future for you here and the rest of us here will most certainly appriciate the help and knowlege that you have... Welcome to CAC!!!!

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:02 am
by Ampresearch
Bwcad1 wrote:sounds like you will be a great addition to the forum, and im glad to have another spl guy here with me! were getting fewer and far between it seems everday. did that system meter over 150?
as of last night beofre taking everything out for final install i did a
148.2 at 41hz legal
150.4 windows down
151.3 windows down in the kick.

all was done on the new term lab while hooked up to my oscope checking for any clipping and such.
i expect to have 150+ legal once i have a perm install and have everything matted and dialed in. here is a quick video if interested. this is what it does to my truck. :happy055:

http://media.putfile.com/truck-flex-slow-mo-blueberry-yum-yum
http://media.putfile.com/truck-flex-side

thanks for the warm welcome. my install thread will begin tonight.
my wife made me a cool model of the system with all kinds of interchangable pieces so that i could move them around and play with it until i find just what i want. now that i played with it its time to make the real thing.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:05 am
by Bwcad1
good scores on that power. welcome to the forum o and welcome to the 150 club ;)

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:13 am
by two4fifteen
now i know exaclty what i wanna look for in a wife, fibergalssing skills and artistic....

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:25 am
by Ampresearch
[quote="Bwcad1"]good scores on that power. welcome to the forum o and welcome to the 150 club ]

well its not offical yet.. thats not a legal score nor was it done at offical comp so its does not quite count yet. BUT if i cant do it with what i have you can bet you arse i will be adding another 1500.1 the second i decide i cant do it with what i have

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:26 am
by Ampresearch
two4fifteen wrote:now i know exaclty what i wanna look for in a wife, fibergalssing skills and artistic....
hahah yep nothing is better then coming home and having your wife WILLING to help draw up countless designs and then have her get excited about going to home depot to start the build. gotta love it.