Page 1 of 2

warming up?

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:45 pm
by herndog
Hey guys I was just wondering if I ever needed to let my system play for a little bit before turning it up to let the amp warm up? Especially when it gets colder out?

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:48 pm
by brent
Not that I am aware of. Where do you live? Seems like I remember a discussion about this back during the winter. I will try and hunt it down for you. I am not sure if it was this forum or another.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:50 pm
by herndog
northern IN, gets pretty cold up here in winter

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:52 pm
by brent
http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/s ... light=cold

Here is a link to a thread on here. Yeah, according to the gurus you should definetely let your subs and amp warm up. Mechanically it makes sense.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:54 pm
by herndog
thanks alot

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:55 pm
by two4fifteen
i was under the impression that heat was generally bad for amps, so i dont see the benefit in letting them "warm up". i have heard of low grade subs' cones cracking in the winter, if thats what you mean. and another contributor in the winter to failure is frost getting in the amps if there is moisture in the car, melting, and then you could imagine what happens with an operating amp and water.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:56 pm
by brent
Sounds as fun as the Fourth of July

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:02 pm
by Darthness
anyone wanna go in on a cheap amp to find out?

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:03 pm
by brent
If you have a broke one, I am sure with a little power and water we will get the same results. Sounds like test time to me.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:05 pm
by two4fifteen
i guess this is what it comes to when the government outlaws fun fireworks in alot of states... everyone gather up their cheap amps....