Page 1 of 1

Copper Terminals?

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:41 pm
by martin0804
Hey there, I'm gona be doing all the wiring for my stereo install here shortly, and my problem is all I can find in town for 1/0 gauge terminals in town are made of copper. I was wondering wether copper was a good material for car audio?
thanks

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:22 pm
by JeremyC
Copper is fine, its the same thing 99% of your power wires are made of.

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:36 pm
by martin0804
thanks for the response

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:10 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
It will corrode faster.

I would use some anti corrosion spray/gel.

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:28 pm
by JeremyC
Yeah I forgot about the gold plating on the normal ones.

It will still work, but you will want to keep it dry, and put some anti corrosion stuff on it like ryan said.

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:48 am
by ptech1
gold corrodes slower

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:20 pm
by GlassWolf
gold is a noble metal. it shouldn't oxidize at all.

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:44 am
by geolemon
Copper is a great conductor, but it corrodes, so you want to protect it with a non-corrosive plating or coating.

Gold is not the best conductor, but it is more corrosion resistant. Most often, you find copper or aluminum distribution blocks with a gold plating - it's a nice combo.

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:32 am
by GlassWolf
also gold is softer, so the plating will tend to form to the connectors (male to female etc) and make a slightly better connection.. theoretically at least.