Page 1 of 2

Use 4 ohm speaker in place of 10 ohm

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:04 pm
by patroski
I have a 1991 Buick Reatta. The speakers are shot. I have 2 4 ohm speakers I want to use in place of the 10 ohm speakers that came stock. My new speakers are only 4 ohm, how do I install them to get correct sound coming out? If there are any questions you need, please ask.

Thank You,
[email protected]

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:46 pm
by smoker
stock head unit? is it a bose system?

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:13 pm
by Darthness
patroski wrote:I have a 1991 Buick Reatta. The speakers are shot. I have 2 4 ohm speakers I want to use in place of the 10 ohm speakers that came stock. My new speakers are only 4 ohm, how do I install them to get correct sound coming out? If there are any questions you need, please ask.
Thank You,
[email protected]
you got it mixed up.

your stock speakaers are only 10 ohm. 4 ohm is > 10 ohm. Chances are you'll have to replace the stock deck to get the to work because you'd be more than doubling the load.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:45 pm
by JeremyC
4 ohms is actually less than half the current ohm load, not more than the current load.

Either way, darth is right, if your still running the factory deck, its time to upgrade.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:30 pm
by solacedagony
In terms of amplifier OUTPUT, you're more than doubling the power (If you go by the half the impedance/double the power rule), but like Jeremy said, you've got less than half the impedance from the new set of speakers. So you guys are both right in your own way. :horse

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:21 pm
by GlassWolf
to answer the OP, you can't use 4 ohm speakers on that factory radio if it came with 10 ohm speakers.
you'll overload the amplifier portion of th radio and burn it up. It'll also sound lousy.
You need a new radio to go with those new speakers, or you need 10 ohm factory replacement speakers.

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:37 am
by JeremyC
solacedagony wrote:In terms of amplifier OUTPUT, you're more than doubling the power
I forgot to put that part. :thumbsup

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:58 pm
by patroski
Gentlemen, I thank you for the replies. I'm not to checked out on these computer things and I have trouble quite a bit. I add things that I don't need and I mess things up. Please forgive me for not repling when I should have. Heck, I didn't even realize I should have! Somewhere someone told me to add a 8 ohm wire wround resistor to each speaker. That would give the amp the required load. I just wanted to hear if anything else is available. Now when I send this, I don't know if everyone gets it or not. I've done nothing yet on the car, will soon I hope. Again, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you when I should have.

Thank You and God Bless,
[email protected]

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:03 am
by cargodz
No need for apologies :) ... some of us aren't always timely.

And as far as your Reatta... Great car...with a horrible sound system.
As stated above, best bet get a new head unit (stereo) and some decent components or coaxials (speakers) and you'll be off to a good start...
Either that or just go get factory replacements, but who really wants factory.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:09 am
by les_gobich
well stock is not always good, at least to me. there is always something you can do. unless you have a late 90's park ave, then you to damn afraid youll fudge somethin up.