Page 1 of 2

Looking for a DVD Burner, what to get?

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:59 pm
by Chris from Washington
I would like to get a DVD Burner.

Not really sure what to get. Anyone out there have any recommendations?

I know to try and get one with the fastest write speed, but what else should I look for?

Thanks
Chris.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:10 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
Walmart had one for $70 that was acceptable.

16x write I think 48x CD write

Buffer memory is a thing to look at. Most only have like 2 or 4 MB....

The bigger, the better.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:35 pm
by Chris from Washington
I was looking on some other forums, and looks like either the nec 3500a or the Pioneer A08 are pretty hot right now.

huh, NEC my old workplace. Never thought I would actually consider buying something from them again.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:29 pm
by Mercedesbends69
Make sure you look into one that is + and - RW so you don't have to worry about compadibility.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:33 pm
by William from NOLA
Ditto what mercedesbends69 said. Plus you will want to look into Lite On (best company) and Sony is very good too. I have an older 4x +- dvdrw from sony and it works very well.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:37 pm
by Scarrell
our Wally World here has them Lite On DVD Burners for about $100, my dad is going to buy one sometime, his brother has one.. they seem to do pretty good.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:51 pm
by j0sh_o6
Chris from Washington wrote:I was looking on some other forums, and looks like either the nec 3500a or the Pioneer A08 are pretty hot right now.

huh, NEC my old workplace. Never thought I would actually consider buying something from them again.

i would go with the pioneer A08
i have the pioneer A06 (just older model) and i love it has yet to let me down have burnt approx 100 dvd's and upwords of 200-300 cd's with outa a glitch yet would highly recomend pioneer dvd burner

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:19 pm
by Chris from Washington
OK, I think I'm going to either pick the NEC or the Pioneer.

From some of the reviews I've been reading the NEC is the better burner. Plus depending on where you buy it from, it comes with Nero. The Pioneer seems to only come with Roxio.

Plus it seems to be alot cheaper then the Pioneer too.

Here is the specs of the NEC
http://osnews.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=3648375#description

Here is the specs of the Pioneer.
http://osnews.pricegrabber.com/search_t ... escription

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:47 pm
by lotas
http://www.newegg.com


i dunno if thats how you spell it, but a bunch of my buddies build computers and thats where they buy their stuff.

might be like http://www.neweg.com

you might have heard of it though.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:56 pm
by Mercedesbends69