Page 1 of 2
sound from coax amp cuts off without turning off.
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:52 pm
by snyper2k2
Ok, I have a Phase Linear indash dvd. And an older amp, a puch 400.4 and also a hifonics 1200 watt amp.(brutus)
I have preouts for front and rear both going into the punch. and from the punch i have a pair of RCAs that goto the subwoofer from the line out.
The system keeps cutting off the sound that goes to the punch for 2-5 seconds at a time, but I can still hear the sub. How can this be?
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:08 pm
by k0rnyfr33k
I dont know im not a pro....but it seems like that your punch is going on protect and your hifonics is not.....but dont count on me....lol
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:28 pm
by Chris from Washington
When this happens do any of the lights on the 400.4 come on?
Where do you have the gains set at on the Punch amp?
I'm not positive, but I think the line outs on the 400.4 are just pass through, so if your 400.4 goes into protection, the signal still goes to the next amp. So that could explain why the speakers to the Punch amp go out, and the subs connected to the other amp do not.
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:33 pm
by snyper2k2
Umm. Today I tested that while driving and it seems that everytime I press the brake the same thing happens for about 5 seconds and then comes back. I press brake again and same thing. and at idle it will cut off randomly. but if i start accelerating then it comes back.
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:01 pm
by Chris from Washington
are your wires ran near the brake peddle? Maybe the wire is pinched and is shorting out?
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:28 pm
by snyper2k2
nope. they are going down the passengers. i tihnk it might be something with the batery. because in idle if its sitting for a long time in idle it will eventually just give no sound. but if i start driving it will eventually it will go back to the brake thing. But today it was jumpstarted. and it ran fine with no cutoffs for a while.
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:42 am
by cargodz
Sounds like a power problem... Do you have any headlight dimming at night?
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:27 am
by snyper2k2
Nope, no headlight dimming only if i go real high on the volume. but i cant even do that or itll cut off.
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:43 am
by Bwcad1
sounds like clipping and its getting worse when your voltage decreases turn the gain on the amp down.
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:12 am
by snyper2k2
ok, the punch has no gain settings. It has some sort of cards like (ram memory) under it only. The brutus does have gains and they are set low.