Page 1 of 2
HeadUnit damage/RCA Cable
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:21 am
by 07grey
Installed Knu Koncept RCA cables between HU and Amp. When I removed the cables from the HU, part of the HU RCA jack came out with the cable end (section that holds the polarity ring). Very thin metal bent. any way to repair? The amp end (eclipse 4100) had no problem with the Knu Koncept cables,which seem be a very good product for the cost. Much cheaper than monster.
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:20 am
by solacedagony
You're probably going to have to get the same RCA jack used in that HU, unsolder the bad one, solder in the new one. You can also rig it by soldering a set of RCAs hanging out the back of the HU. Just see where on the board the jack goes on, solder a wire to it, run it out the back.
If this isn't anything special of an HU, then just buy another one off eGay or somewhere else for cheap and call it a day.
Rca
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:13 am
by 07grey
Jake, thanks for the info. The jacks still function, but the plugs do not fit snug at all, and there is a lot more 'system' (cd motor, clicking etc) noise than before. The HU is a Custom AutoSound unit for a 56 chevy (Kenwood clone) Not very good quality, but it looks almost oe.
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:04 pm
by cargodz
Well as I said before... I've dealt with those custom autosound units in the past and I wouldn't rate them any higher than an Audiovox special at Walmart... I still suggest you put a decent headunit in it, hide it in the glove box, then you still keep the stock look

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:39 pm
by solacedagony
07grey wrote:Jake, thanks for the info. The jacks still function, but the plugs do not fit snug at all, and there is a lot more 'system' (cd motor, clicking etc) noise than before. The HU is a Custom AutoSound unit for a 56 chevy (Kenwood clone) Not very good quality, but it looks almost oe.
There's a similar issue with the Pioneer 880PRS where a microfuse partly blows and gives a ton of noise. Only way to fix it is solder in a new microfuse or just put in a 0 ohm, FireProof resistor in its place. So unless you have a schematic for it and can figure out what's causing the noise, it's junk.
Your best bet is probably to get an aftermarket, like cargodz said, and mount it in the glove compartment or under the dash somehow.
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:58 pm
by MrSo0h0o
solacedagony wrote:There's a similar issue with the Pioneer 880PRS where a microfuse partly blows and gives a ton of noise. Only way to fix it is solder in a new microfuse or just put in a 0 ohm, FireProof resistor in its place. So unless you have a schematic for it and can figure out what's causing the noise, it's junk.
Your best bet is probably to get an aftermarket, like cargodz said, and mount it in the glove compartment or under the dash somehow.
sorry to threadjack, but one of my car fuses blew(for the radio) and now i have speaker noise plus alt whine.. is it at all possible the blown fuse could have messed up my HU? reference this thread:
http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/s ... php?t=8995
thanks!
HeadUnit Damage
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:59 am
by 07grey
I definately would not purchase another CAS unit, they are just too expensive. I read that the CAS cd changer is a Kenwood unit and should work on most of their HU's with changer controls. Are Kenwood HU's ok? I have a Eclipse 4100 power amp set up wit h the rear bridged for a sub (single 10), so the Kenwood would be preamp only.
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:45 pm
by cargodz
I like some of the higher end Kenwoods myself and chances are you're still not gonna pay much more than what you paid for that Custom Autosound unit... I know those things are pricey.
kenwood
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:30 pm
by 07grey
Would a product like the Scosche LOC- 80 work as a short term solution? I know sound quality will be reduced, but there should be some good deals on electronix after the holiday.
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:03 pm
by cargodz
Would a LOC work... Yes... Would I recommend it... No.
I only say this because if you are planning on upgrading your H/U in the near future, it would seem a waste of money... Just my opinion.