Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Lights on an '03 Ford Ranger

A Place to Discuss Modifications done to your cars.

Moderators: GlassWolf, William from NOLA

solacedagony
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
Contact:

Lights on an '03 Ford Ranger

Post by solacedagony »

I drive through a lot of deer-infested areas and I'm probably going to get some fog lights. But in the mean time, I was thinking that it'd be a good idea to modify my truck so that when I turn my brights on, my low beams stay on as well. However, I have no clue how to go about that. Can anyone with a clue (since I don't have one) give me an idea of how to go about this or where to look to get that info? Thanks.
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

i know a few guys who did the low beam plus high beam and melted the plastic got to be verry careful.
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
solacedagony
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
Contact:

Post by solacedagony »

Bwcad1 wrote:i know a few guys who did the low beam plus high beam and melted the plastic got to be verry careful.
You mean the wires or the actual head light plastic covers? They get THAT hot?
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

the covers across the back got hot. and started to melt.
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
User avatar
Chris from Washington
Posts: 4671
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Washington
Contact:

Post by Chris from Washington »

solacedagony wrote:I drive through a lot of deer-infested areas and I'm probably going to get some fog lights. But in the mean time, I was thinking that it'd be a good idea to modify my truck so that when I turn my brights on, my low beams stay on as well. However, I have no clue how to go about that. Can anyone with a clue (since I don't have one) give me an idea of how to go about this or where to look to get that info? Thanks.
I would check out some forums that are dedicated to either Ford Trucks or Rangers.

When I bought my 4Runner, that was one thing that just bugged me about it. You couldn't turn on the fogs with the highs, or just have the fogs on by themselves.

checked out a 4Runner forum, and someone had already posted the mod on how to fix it. For my truck it was like a 10 minute mod too!!
Purple RS
Senior Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: Bremerton, WA
Contact:

Post by Purple RS »

You may want to check the legality of that mod, I know a lot of people do it. In most states, it isn't legal to use more than 2 sets of forward facing bright lights at the same time. This includes high beams, low beams, fog lights, and driving lights. That's why the factory wires up fog and driving lights to be on only with low beams and disabled with high beams.

Off road is something different and you can use as many as you want, as long as you're off road.
User avatar
Chris from Washington
Posts: 4671
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Washington
Contact:

Post by Chris from Washington »

Yes I forgot to mention that it's technically illegal most states to do it. It's one of those mods that you'll most likely never get pulled over for, but there is always a chance.
cargodz
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4771
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:21 am
Location: NW Ohio
Contact:

Post by cargodz »

Check your local laws first, and after you find out if it's legal or not... although it should be on your vehicle since you have no running/ fog lamps... Here's the link for the ranger conversion: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/hibeams.html
-Michael
http://www.teamcargodzinc.com :thumbsup
Hear It, See It, Feel It, Punch It!
And Proud Sponsor of
Team Wolf Pack Audio
Authorized Dealer
solacedagony
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
Contact:

Post by solacedagony »

I knew about the legalities of it, but thanks for mentioning that guys.

Mike, is that how the newer ('03) Rangers work as well? Low/high beams off that relay?

Has anyone else seen melting or overheating issues like Bill mentioned?
cargodz
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4771
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:21 am
Location: NW Ohio
Contact:

Post by cargodz »

Well I've seen guys have the melting problem on full size Chevys, but that's cause they were using Hella H3 lighting in them... them things get super hot... If you use a standard Sylvania Silverstar you'll be alright... And the newer Rangers should be pretty close to this set up.
-Michael
http://www.teamcargodzinc.com :thumbsup
Hear It, See It, Feel It, Punch It!
And Proud Sponsor of
Team Wolf Pack Audio
Authorized Dealer
Post Reply