Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

door handles/lock mechanisms keep freezing!

A Place to Discuss Modifications done to your cars.

Moderators: William from NOLA, GlassWolf

MobileAudio219
Master of My Domain

door handles/lock mechanisms keep freezing!

Post by MobileAudio219 »

On my mustang. Broke the drivers side handle already. Then yesterday while at my cousins they froze again. It's not just the handle it's something inside the door. I pulled back the window rubber a little and dumped a gallon (a little at a time) of de-icer down it. Still froze.

Then I sprayed a can of de-icer down it and it finally can un-stuck.

It does it everything the temps drop into the single digits.

I thought about pulling the door panel off and spraying White Lithium Grease on everything, but then I thought what about smearing some wheel bearing grease on the rods/mechanisms?

What do you northerns do?
1995 Ford Explorer Sport, 4.0, Auto, 2dr, 2wd!
JVC KD-S100, PPI 356c's ,Hifonics ZXI 6410, 10" AB DX
Like project build threads? Have one of your own? Post it here!
www.projectcarforum.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain

Post by Bwcad1 »

The lock in my buick is freezing pretty good lately ive tried deicers and all kinds of shit nothing works ive tried white lithium lock ease blah blah blah. Just keep some deicer with you so when it does ice up you can get in
ImageImage

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
falkenbd

Post by falkenbd »

leave the window down so you can get in...
Ryan from Ohio

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

That sucks.

With the Alero the power windows freeze ALL the time. I cant tell you haw many times Ive had to open the door at drive thru and turnpike exits... Not to mention the power window mechanism is weak and trying to force it down may break it...
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
MobileAudio219
Master of My Domain

Post by MobileAudio219 »

Ryan from Ohio wrote:That sucks.

With the Alero the power windows freeze ALL the time. I cant tell you haw many times Ive had to open the door at drive thru and turnpike exits... Not to mention the power window mechanism is weak and trying to force it down may break it...
They like to break the cable and let the window fall down.

I'm going to try coating the door handle/lock mechanisms in wheel bearing grease. It might work?
www.projectcarforum.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ryan from Ohio

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

I would use a marine type grease.

The white lithium is light weight.
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
CaptainPioneer
Master of My Domain

Post by CaptainPioneer »

Not to point out an obvious thing, but it seems that every car you all listed is either GM or Ford... Perhaps that is the route of the problems??

I know we have a 2007 Camry, an 03 Lexus RX300, 2009 Jetta TDI... None of them have problems with this freezing handles ever... Even when I had my 84 VW Rabbit, that thing never had problems with the handles freezing, even without door panels on and a hole in the convertible top...
COR UNUM VIA UNA - Jay Chmura
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain

Post by Bwcad1 »

CaptainPioneer wrote:Not to point out an obvious thing, but it seems that every car you all listed is either GM or Ford... Perhaps that is the route of the problems??

I know we have a 2007 Camry, an 03 Lexus RX300, 2009 Jetta TDI... None of them have problems with this freezing handles ever... Even when I had my 84 VW Rabbit, that thing never had problems with the handles freezing, even without door panels on and a hole in the convertible top...

Yea dude just sell your car cause of the freezing handle. Make sure you get something that doesn't freeze; like a foreign car. We all know its impossible for water to get in there locks. Shits impervious. :argh

Seriously dude

No seriously

Seriously

Do it

Buy a Jetta with shit electrical or buy a Toyota and fly off a cliff at 200mph or get a Honda with faulty air bags. Or get a 99 gm anything with shitty quality. Or get a ford from 10 years ago with shitty tires on explores. Shit dude nvm just walk.
ImageImage

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
falkenbd

Post by falkenbd »

The only car i've ever had to de-ice a lock on was a geo (read Toyota Corolla) prizm.

There was 1/4" of ice on the entire car and the same day my GM truck's locks didn't need to be de iced. same 1/4" of ice on the truck

Therefore trucks must be better? or wait maybe it could be that the car was parked facing north south and the truck east west...

Park your car east to west from now on.
MobileAudio219
Master of My Domain

Post by MobileAudio219 »

falkenbd wrote:The only car i've ever had to de-ice a lock on was a geo (read Toyota Corolla) prizm.

There was 1/4" of ice on the entire car and the same day my GM truck's locks didn't need to be de iced. same 1/4" of ice on the truck

Therefore trucks must be better? or wait maybe it could be that the car was parked facing north south and the truck east west...

Park your car east to west from now on.
LOL!

My cousin said he was installing cable at this guys house one time. The dude went to get in his car and his door handles were frozen. My cousins like "oh, that sucks." The guys like "not really" then picks up a cord dangling out of the car and says "I put a space heater in it!"

My cousin said it wasn't long before the guys car was totally defrosted.

Of course by now his car is probably burnt down... but it probably worked a few times first!
www.projectcarforum.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]