Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Looking for a cheap entry Amp

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Looking for a cheap entry Amp

by aggybong » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:04 am

I read the pdf manual on the Phoenix Gold amp, and its only 50w rms @ 4ohms :( The MTX is 75w RMS.

Anyhoo, about the Pioneers blowing...is it a sure thing, or just if I crank it up really high? I want to replace the rears, just not yet.

by William from NOLA » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:11 am

I know the Pioneers max out at 40w RMS, and the Kappas at 75.
I think going over 50 rms would fry the Pioneers.

Well

by Ryan from Ohio » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:05 am

What is the RMS rating on the Infinty's?
The Pioneer's?

That determines what to look for, not price.

If they will handle 75 WRMS then they should be OK with 80 WRMS.

by aggybong » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:27 am

William from NOLA wrote:You wouldn't want a 60-80 wrms per channel amp then. 40 wrms per channel will do you just fine. An external amplifier no matter what power level, will give you a huge boost over the head unit.
Justin from Detroit wrote:It would definetely do you some good to save up extra money. If you buy a 150-200 amp you might not notice too much of difference switching from your head unit, honestly. Save up a little more. The amplifier to run the interior speakers is a VERY important part of a nice audio setup. Don't go cheap on it.
Justin from Detroit wrote:40x4 is hardly much more then your Hu puts out. Get at least 80x4.
Now I'm confused :(

Anyway, I have narrowed my choices down to 2...either the MTX Thunder 564, or the Phoenix Gold OCTANE-R 5.0:4. Of course, now theres the talk of me blowing my speakers with either...so should I stick with a 40w RMS max amp, or go for the MTX or the PG?

by 6three6mafia6 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:17 pm

man take my advice and the others advice ,save up , i saw a arc audio cxl 4050 for 150$ , you got to look around man , you will regreat it one day if you spend that money on a cheap amp and end up buying a new one, do it once do it right.

by William from NOLA » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:25 pm

You wouldn't want a 60-80 wrms per channel amp then. 40 wrms per channel will do you just fine. An external amplifier no matter what power level, will give you a huge boost over the head unit.

by aggybong » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:44 pm

Different question that I should have asked before:

What are the chances of blowing my speakers with a 60-85w rated amp? I know the Pioneers max out at 40w RMS, and the Kappas at 75.

by William from NOLA » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:35 pm

As for quality of the amp, far better. The MTX will have better and more reliable output. The MTX will also have cleaner output power which can make a huge difference to the subs.

by aggybong » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:50 pm

It's slightly over my spending range, though :( What exactly makes it better, anyway? I don't really need fancy options, just high\low pass filters

by Justin from Detroit1 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:44 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 45208&rd=1

Better amp, better deal. Go with this one over the Phoenix.

Top