Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Home Drivers in a Car

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Home Drivers in a Car

by Jonathan » Wed May 17, 2006 11:24 pm

Untreated paper cones are the biggest concern.

It can be argued that many factory speakers use the same style of cone/surround, and last many years at that. But generally it's more desirable to have something that doesn't absorb moisture. That would be aluminum, poly, a coated paper, etc

Glues in my eyes aren't as big an issue with high end speakers, most can withstand far more abuse than what they'll generally see in their intended application.

Surrounds are a consideration as well, foam generally won't last in a car environment due to both the heat and moisture in the application.

by Robert Wollenberg » Wed May 17, 2006 7:44 am

I prefer a tweet and midrange in the kick and a midbass in the doors. If there's room.

by kevinberry1 » Wed May 17, 2006 6:44 am

I would think that kick pannels would be better than using the door unless you can seal the driver in the door. The door space tends to accumulate moisture. Cars also get very hot in the sun, upwards of 130 degrees, so I'm not sure how that would affect some drivers.

by solacedagony » Wed May 17, 2006 5:55 am

Yea that's what I figured. At least some type of protection for the paper so it just doesn't fall apart from moisture.

by Robert Wollenberg » Wed May 17, 2006 5:11 am

I think you just need to make sure the paper is treated in some way. To help combat moisture. I remember someone telling me that a while back when I asked a very similar quesion.

by OnYrMrk » Wed May 17, 2006 4:48 am

stay away from tissue paper
sorry...too early in the morning

I have a pair of McIntosh 5.25's with treated pressed paper that I used for some experimental kickpanel enclosures...they worked fine.

by solacedagony » Wed May 17, 2006 3:41 am

Say one of the Seas metal/poly drivers or the Dayton RS aluminum cone drivers? Also, what types of paper would be ok for in-car use?

by Jonathan » Tue May 16, 2006 6:44 pm

^^yup.

Soft parts are the main concern.

by GlassWolf » Tue May 16, 2006 12:12 pm

entirely depends on the driver in question.

by solacedagony » Tue May 16, 2006 11:00 am

Thanks for your thoughts.

Top